AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having problems getting descent response out of my subwoofer when watching movies or listening to music. Listed below is my setup.


Pioneer SC-25 Receiver

Klipsch RF-62's Fronts

Klipsch RC-52 Center

Klipsch RF-15's Surrounds

Polk Audio PSW10


I have to turn my fronts to small in order to get descent bass out of the sub but I don't I think I should have to do this. Right now I have it set up as the Fronts set as large, Center set as large and Surrounds set as small. I have the crossover at 100 on the sub and volume is around 3/4. I am a amatuer at this but it seems all three speakers (fronts, center and surrounds should be set at large since these are all larger speakers.) I have the gut feeling the subwoofer isn't a descent enough sub. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
862 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonder2J /forum/post/19553046


I am having problems getting descent response out of my subwoofer when watching movies or listening to music. Listed below is my setup.


Pioneer SC-25 Receiver

Klipsch RF-62's Fronts

Klipsch RC-52 Center

Klipsch RF-15's Surrounds

Polk Audio PSW10


I have to turn my fronts to small in order to get descent bass out of the sub but I don't I think I should have to do this. Right now I have it set up as the Fronts set as large, Center set as large and Surrounds set as small. I have the crossover at 100 on the sub and volume is around 3/4. I am a amatuer at this but it seems all three speakers (fronts, center and surrounds should be set at large since these are all larger speakers.) I have the gut feeling the subwoofer isn't a descent enough sub. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My understanding is that you need to send speakers to "small" in order to tell your receiver to send the most signal to sub.

(there is more info on this on page 125 of your manual. After reading that, make sure you have the "SW" set the way you want, and the X.OVER set to the crossover frequency you want to send to the sub. Often 80 hz is used.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22,119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonder2J /forum/post/19553046


I am having problems getting descent response out of my subwoofer when watching movies or listening to music. Listed below is my setup.


Pioneer SC-25 Receiver

Klipsch RF-62's Fronts

Klipsch RC-52 Center

Klipsch RF-15's Surrounds

Polk Audio PSW10


I have to turn my fronts to small in order to get descent bass out of the sub but I don't I think I should have to do this. Right now I have it set up as the Fronts set as large, Center set as large and Surrounds set as small. I have the crossover at 100 on the sub and volume is around 3/4. I am a amatuer at this but it seems all three speakers (fronts, center and surrounds should be set at large since these are all larger speakers.) I have the gut feeling the subwoofer isn't a descent enough sub. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

run mcacc... defeat the xover on the subwoofer entirely (or turn it up as high as it will go) first...


if it sets the speakers to "large" (which it may do), set them to "small"...


"small/large" has nothing to do with the physical size of the speakers... it has to do with bass management... if you do not set them to "small", the xover is ignored and the low frequencies from those channels are not sent to the sub...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,858 Posts
The problem is your sub. That is not a very good sub at all. A Lava SPL-12 would work nicely with your system.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22,119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyng_fool /forum/post/19554198


The problem is your sub. That is not a very good sub at all. A Lava SPL-12 would work nicely with your system.

while the commentary on the sub may be true, he could have one of bosso's masterpieces in there, and if he doesn't set his speakers to small, it still won't make any sound...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,995 Posts
Yeah, just to re-iterate and perhaps clarify what the others said:


If your AVR speaker settings are at Large for your Fronts, then the SW will only get sent the signal contained in the LFE channel of the source material. And there is no LFE channel in a CD (or MP3).


Set the speaker size to small. The term "Large" for main speakers is mis-leading, since very few speakers can reach down as far as 20Hz with a flat Freq Response as we would wish, and use of a SW to fill in from 60Hz down is pretty well mandatory.


Using "small" and a cross-over in the AVR of 80Hz will probably get you the best result possible. Make sure the cross-over setting on the SW itself is set as high as possible. Make sure the "LFE Low-pass" or "LFE Filter" setting on the AVR is as high as possible (probably 120Hz), if you even have that setting.


Hope that helps,


shinksma
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,439 Posts
In the under $300 range, individuals in this forum like the BIC PL-200 and Lava LSP12.


I have a Polk PSW10 in a small system in a very small bedroom. It is ok for supplementing small satellite speakers with its 40-45 Hz low end and lack of sound pressure. The PSW10 would be inadequate for other situations such as yours. I did not purchase the PSW10.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,858 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj /forum/post/19556649


while the commentary on the sub may be true, he could have one of bosso's masterpieces in there, and if he doesn't set his speakers to small, it still won't make any sound...

Aw, hell. That PSW-10 ain't gonna make much noise regardless.
Nice Salk's BTW.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
I had the same problem with a Pioneer Elite reciever. The bass management only passed dedicated LFE information to the subwoofer when the speakers were set to large. This meant no sub for any two channel information. The problem was, when I sent the speakers to small so the sub would work, the sound stage collapsed. Eventually I ended hooking the sub up using speaker wires from the Pioneer to the sub, then to the speakers. Telling the Pioneer I had large speakers with no sub. Problem solved, and sound stage preserved.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,587 Posts
absent some unusual situation, setting one's speakers to small should not affect the soundstage at all, at least as I understand the term.


In general, the term "small" is unfortunate, because the concept they are actually trying to capture is "turn on bass management so there is an appropriate crossover from mains to sub, instead of either no bass to sub or a noticeable hump in frequency response where they overlap." Using the term "small" clearly offends some aspect of the male psyche . . . .


In most cases, unless you are just unusually lucky, you should expect bass bloat when you run mains that have decent bass response full range while sending a signal to the sub that contains at full level the frequencies already being reproduced by the mains.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30,788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshound /forum/post/19559856


I had the same problem with a Pioneer Elite reciever. The bass management only passed dedicated LFE information to the subwoofer when the speakers were set to large. This meant no sub for any two channel information.

First, bass management does not send LFE information to the sub as LFE is a distinct channel. What bass management does is send the low frequency information from the L/R speakers to the sub when you set the speakers to small. Since two channel stuff has no LFE (else it would be 2.1), this is proper.

Quote:
Eventually I ended hooking the sub up using speaker wires from the Pioneer to the sub, then to the speakers. Telling the Pioneer I had large speakers with no sub. Problem solved, and sound stage preserved.

OK but the problem is soluble by setting the speakers to small if you do it right.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
257 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonder2J /forum/post/0


I am having problems getting descent response out of my subwoofer when watching movies or listening to music. Listed below is my setup.


Pioneer SC-25 Receiver

Klipsch RF-62's Fronts

Klipsch RC-52 Center

Klipsch RF-15's Surrounds

Polk Audio PSW10


I have to turn my fronts to small in order to get descent bass out of the sub but I don't I think I should have to do this. Right now I have it set up as the Fronts set as large, Center set as large and Surrounds set as small. I have the crossover at 100 on the sub and volume is around 3/4. I am a amatuer at this but it seems all three speakers (fronts, center and surrounds should be set at large since these are all larger speakers.) I have the gut feeling the subwoofer isn't a descent enough sub. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You can keep your speakers set to large and on your receiver under speaker settings set sub to plus.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30,788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tooley /forum/post/19560077


You can keep your speakers set to large and on your receiver under speaker settings set sub to plus.

If you want lumpy bass. Proper level settings and bass management will get what is possible from the Polk sub. A more capable sub would give more descent (sic) performance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22,119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyng_fool /forum/post/19559258


Aw, hell. That PSW-10 ain't gonna make much noise regardless.
Nice Salk's BTW.

lol... it'll probably fart a lot....



thanks...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,858 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonder2J /forum/post/19561628


I was looking at the BIC PL-220. Any opinions on this sub? Any opinions on other subs?

The Lava SPL-12 or the Emotiva Ultra 10 is a better sub for about the same price.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
570 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHAz
absent some unusual situation, setting one's speakers to small should not affect the soundstage at all, at least as I understand the term.


In most cases, unless you are just unusually lucky, you should expect bass bloat when you run mains that have decent bass response full range while sending a signal to the sub that contains at full level the frequencies already being reproduced by the mains.
So that brings up a question for me as far as F/L mains that are powered. Since they are powered (such as Def Tech powered towers) then setting to large would bloat the bass? So is there any advantage to even having a powered F/L if you have a good sub?
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top