AVS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have recently built a house and I plan on adding a home theater somewhere down the line, but for now I am looking to add a subwoofer to my open plan design. My wife likes good aesthetics, so I went with Definitive Technology RCS speakers for my home audio setup. I am running a UIW RCS II for the Center, UIW RCS III for Front Left and Front Right and then four UIW RSS III for the surrounds and backs. At this point, I am looking to add either one or two subs, but I am by no means an audio or sub expert, so I am looking for some recommendations. I can either go with a single sub and spend the budget there, or go for two subs and split the cost. From the sticky post, here are my thoughts:

1. Budget. I am looking to spend around $800 and I can throw in a little bit more for shipping.

2. Size requirements/limits. Smaller would be more preferable for the wife. I can get away with the size of the HSU VTF-15, but that would probably be the max size.

3. Room dimensions. The room is about 15' across and about 12' deep until it opens up in the back. The open area behind the subs goes back another 40' or so. Bottomline, I am not planning on any reflection coming from the back of the room. It's all coming from the front or reflection off the walls.

4. Primary uses. TV and Movies about 95% of the time. Music about 5%. We have a whole house audio which is primarily for music. I am really looking at a sub that gives that kick to watching a good movie!

5. Listening habits. Medium-level sound. Not cranking it with 4 small kids, but I appreciate a nice clear sound.

6. Appearance requirements. Prefer a nice appearance as there is really no way to hide the sub in the room.

7. Timeframe. None really. Looking for a good sale or opportunity.

As I mentioned, I could go with 2 subs or I could go with a single. Really looking for recommendations. Also unsure on whether to go ported or sealed. I appreciate everyone's thoughts and perspectives.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
Like the "you're gonna need a bigger boat" line from jaws, you're gonna need a bigger budget. Much bigger, actually.

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
Maybe try the PSA XV-15se. It's $899 including shipping and you get 30 days to try it out. If you are not happy, you can send it back and it won't cost you a cent. :)

·
Banned
8,743 Posts
Given your open area, I would go with a ported sub. I would give the Hsu VTF3 mk5 a try in your budget. You could do two subs, but in that price range there are gains and there are compromises by dividing your budget in two. If you wanted to do two subs I would go with two Premiere Acoustic PA-150s (make them an offer for a reduced price). They have lots of mid and upper bass output, but wouldn't have the deep bass of something like the Hsu.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Since you want sort of a small sub and not a refrigerator size which would be a sealed or a small size driver ported, and you don't listen real loud and looking for a tactical feel, but want some clean bass. This will fit your budget, free shipping, and if you don't like it withing 30 days you can return it at no cost. http://www.powersoundaudio.com/products/xs15se,

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for everyone's feedback. I am going to look at buying one of these bad boys in the next two months. Here's where I am leaning:

1. Hsu VTF-3 MK5
  2. PSA XV-15se
  3. SVS PB2000/Dual 1000
I appreciate all of the recommendations so I can read up on these a bit more.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
I bought the VTF-2 and have been very impressed in the performance. Nice big box, though, the WAF might kill you with that, the -3 or the -15.

Another idea ... a VTF-1 out of the way, and Hsu's MBM-12 in Rosewood finish closer to the listening position. The MBM-12 is being phased out, and on sale.

I don't understand Mix_master's insistence that you need a much bigger budget. I must be overlooking some information.

With "4 small kids" around, I'd be wary of subs with woofers not downfiring. Are they liable to put toys into the ports? The MBM has a port on the front, alas, while the VTF-1 and -2 have them on the back. Of course, you could put the plugs in for bass extension versus volume, but little ones might think that's a neat hiding place for Hot Wheels.

Just my two cents....

// Posted from Tapatalk 3.2.1 for iOS - later versions are pfft //

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Appreciate the thoughts chrome. I agree with the kids and hiding spaces, which is why I am adamant that whichever sub I buy has to have a nice grill that covers any open ports. I can train the kids not to touch that or open it. I'll look into the two you mentioned as well.

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
The XV-15se would be a good choice IMHO. It's down firing so no grill, just aim the back port about 3-6 inches from the wall. Also it's not very large for a ported sub.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mnc, quick question. I've always been concerned with downward firing subs on carpet. Should I be concerned with that and stay with front or rear firing?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Carpet will have no effect on down firing subs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts