AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a recommendation on a subwoofer for my master bedroom. Its a fairly large room and is close to my kids rooms, so I am looking for something that will be clear at low volume to avoid waking the kids up. I have an Energy ESW-C10 on order because it was on sale but wanted to see if there way anything better for the price or comparable for less that I could get.

Budget - $400, but the less the better.
Room Size - 15.5’ x 17.5’ x 8.7’
Primary Uses - Movies / TV

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I am looking for a recommendation on a subwoofer for my master bedroom. Its a fairly large room and is close to my kids rooms, so I am looking for something that will be clear at low volume to avoid waking the kids up. I have an Energy ESW-C10 on order because it was on sale but wanted to see if there way anything better for the price or comparable for less that I could get.

Budget - $400, but the less the better.
Room Size - 15.5’ x 17.5’ x 8.7’
Primary Uses - Movies / TV
Not sure what "clear enough at low volume to avoid waking the kids up" means?

If low frequencies are produced...they will be heard. Subwoofers are the least critical in terms of our ability to hear distortion of any type of speaker.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure what "clear enough at low volume to avoid waking the kids up" means?

If low frequencies are produced...they will be heard. Subwoofers are the least critical in terms of our ability to hear distortion of any type of speaker.
Fair point, I guess I am looking for something that will make my setup sound better without waking up the kids. Sounds like I was wrong in assuming that some subwoofers might accomplish that better than others.

Also I think I may be able to get a Klipsch R-12SW for about the same price as the Energy ESW-C10. Would one perform better than the other in my situation?

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
Fair point, I guess I am looking for something that will make my setup sound better without waking up the kids. Sounds like I was wrong in assuming that some subwoofers might accomplish that better than others.

Also I think I may be able to get a Klipsch R-12SW for about the same price as the Energy ESW-C10. Would one perform better than the other in my situation?
Kids will get use to it, just ask my grandchildren -- my son has no problem, and his sub shakes the walls everywhere ;).

And yes, one budget sub will perform better than another budget sub. There are several good budget subs to choose from. Just check out the following thread: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-s.../1364182-list-budget-subwoofers-300-less.html

And Jim Wilson has written professional reviews on several budget (an non-budget) subs, including NXG, Dayton and others. Here are two:

Jim Wilson's review: http://www.hometheatershack.com/for...ws/67178-nxg-nx-bas-500-subwoofer-review.html

Jim Wilson's review: http://www.hometheatershack.com/for...6-dayton-audio-sub-1200-subwoofer-review.html

1 - 4 of 4 Posts