AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guy's. I'm looking for a single subwoofer to put into a 31x31x10' high room

(9610sq ft) 95% of the time it will be for movies (TV, DVD, Blue Ray). Using a Harmon Kardon 325 AVI 7.1 supported receiver. Would like to spend less than $1000. A little less would be good if there was only a sleight differece between them. I'll take any size. Bigger the better I would think. Prefer black. Love the shiney black laquer look. Any recommendation?

Thanks a lot,

Mike

·
Registered
2,706 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion123 /forum/post/17019100

I'm minutes away from grabbing a VELODYNE 15" from Fry's Electronics for $800.

Fry's has the Martin Logan Abyss 12" on sale for 600 off retail through Thursday. You could buy one and see if that works out for your system. If not, take it back and get the Velo.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Steven. I'm also thinking about the ED A5-350 since it seems to have some pretty good reviews here and costs exactly the same as the Velodyne. I'm just not sure which is better of the 2. I'm a subwoofer noob.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
That's a big area to fill with one sub. If that's your max budget the A5-350 would probably be the most capable in that area, you could also look at the MFW-15 in the dual package which would probably be a better choice for the money in that area if you can go duals.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys,

I've decided to go with Elemental Designs but am stuck between getting:

Model : A5 - 350 Subwoofer

Subwoofer Driver Size : 15" x 1

Power : 500W

Frequency Response : 18-100Hz

Weight : 108 lbs

Price : $800.00

OR

Model : A7S - 450 Subwoofer

Subwoofer Driver Size : 18" x 1

Power : 1300W

Frequency Response : 22-100Hz Un-eQ'd

Weight : 149 lbs

Price : $850.00

It doesn't look like the 18" is ported. I guess that's why it's only $50 more.

What do ya think?

·
Registered
721 Posts
I'd go with the A5-350. The A7S is going to have an advantage in SQ, but likely lose out in output. The other issue is the A7S, being sealed, is really going to require a sub EQ to perform at its best, which is gonna run you more $$$.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
The eD is a good choice but with a room that size I would try to up you're budget and have dual subs, IMO. Also I would call Brett or Alex at eD tomorrow and they will give you great advise (not that you don't get it here) but they may give you a deal if you purchase two subs. Give them a call. In fact I believe they still have some A5-350 down firing subs left (old style). Someone on here last week bought one for five seventy five.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts