AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks guys in advance 1 My budget $500-600 room already has Speakercraft in ceiling AIM 8 threes for the fronts and an AIM 7 one for the center channel surrounds are AIM 7 threes. My current sub is an onkyo SKW-200 which I believe is an 8" . My reciever is an Onkyo SR-604.

2 Can't be wider than 16 inches or longer than 35 inches.

3 Room size 20 foot long 12 wide 8 tall. Sub is going to sit the the back right corner of the room. I nomally sit about 14 ft from the screen.

4 Primary uses 90% gaming 10% movies. I pretty much play shooters on my xbox 360 or ps3.

5 Listening habits I normally dont play it super load when I am playing games I do sometimes crank it way up to listen to some music. I enjoy how crisp the gun shots sound from the Speakercrafts.

6 Appearance requirements Doesnt really matter it will be in the corner next to a couch. Black would be then best but like I said it doesn't really matter it is out of the way not really seen.

7 Time frame I am in no hurry by any means. I have had my current setup for awhile just looking for a better sub.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
You're going to be floored coming from the onkyo sub. Your width requirements are going to limit your choices somewhat but you still do have good options within your budget. The 3 I'd recommend within your criteria are the HSU VTF-2 MK3. SVS PB10NSD and Outlaw LFM-1 Plus. All 3 are excellent choices

·
Registered
102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeman02 /forum/post/17033495

You're going to be floored coming from the onkyo sub. Your width requirements are going to limit your choices somewhat but you still do have good options within your budget. The 3 I'd recommend within your criteria are the HSU VTF-2 MK3. SVS PB10NSD and Outlaw LFM-1 Plus. All 3 are excellent choices

I'll vouch for the HSU VTF-2 Mk3. I have this sub and could not be happier. Currently HSU has a sale going on for the VTF-3 Mk3 for a little over $600. It's the same sub as the VTF-2 with a more powerful amplifier and it is side firing versus down firing. Customer service is excellent. You will not be disappointed.

·
Registered
7,967 Posts
SVS or HSU. I'd advise checking local craigslists. The things are built like tanks and you can easily upgrade yourself to the next level of sub without spending an extra dime.

good luck,

James

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I looked at all those options you gave me jakeman I like them all I dont think I like the circle option but thank you for the choice gtpsuper I never even knew those where made I am likeing the HSU ones I also saw a VTF-1 what do you guys think of that one it is 100 bucks cheaper just thoughts is all. I can't get the VTF-3 Mk3 due to it being to wide I can get the VTF-2 Mk3 it would just fit and I do like the look of it. The SVS PB10NSD I like also and its 449.

·
Registered
161 Posts
If you live in the AZ area, I have a few NHT subs I'll sell you that will work fine for that. Pm me for more info, if you dont live in my neck of the woods, the above mentioned subs would be good for your application.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckguy68 /forum/post/17033950

I looked at all those options you gave me jakeman I like them all I dont think I like the circle option but thank you for the choice gtpsuper I never even knew those where made I am likeing the HSU ones I also saw a VTF-1 what do you guys think of that one it is 100 bucks cheaper just thoughts is all. I can't get the VTF-3 Mk3 due to it being to wide I can get the VTF-2 Mk3 it would just fit and I do like the look of it. The SVS PB10NSD I like also and its 449.

Looks like these subs are still in the running:

Hsu VTF-1 ($449 + $39 shipping)

Hsu VTF-2 MK3 ($549 + $59 shipping)

SVS PB10-NSD ($449 + $40-60 shipping)

The VTF-1 is a good little subwoofer and should have good output. However, for $100 more, the VTF-2 MK3 has a larger cabinet, more powerful amplifier, bigger woofer, and deeper tuning options, which translate into more output and deeper extension. It's well worth the $100 price hike IMO. The PB10-NSD will get almost as deep as the VTF-2 MK3 but it won't have as much output and some people might say the Hsu will have better articulation for music (I've never heard the Hsu - I used to own older model PB10's and they sounded decent though not spectacular for music - great for HT, though!).

Basically, my recommendation is that if you can afford it, get the VTF-2 MK3. It's the best subwoofer of the three. However, if you need to save some money the PB10-NSD is a good choice as well. The VTF-1 is great too, but I think you'll appreciate the added deep extension of the other two subs. Just my two cents. Good luck.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounds like the HSU VTF-2 MK3 is at the top of the list and I don't mind spending the extra money if it going to be a better choice. Looks like thats what I will be getting then. I am assuming the best way to connect it to the receiver is still through the low level input? I did notice it does have high level inputs not really sure why you would have that if it is a powered sub. Maybe someone can shed some light on that subject since all my other subs I have had only had the low level inputs. Thanks lakersfan for your opinion.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
Out of curiosity, how large is your room? Regardless, any of the three subs you're considering will put the Onkyo to shame, but I'm still wondering how big your room is.

As for connecting the sub, I'd use a cable from the receiver's subwoofer pre-out to one of the subwoofer's low level inputs like you're doing now. The high level inputs can be helpful if one doesn't have a receiver with bass management. Your receiver does, and using the low level input will allow your receiver to handle the bass management duties.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok that makes sense I thought the low level was a better choise but figured I would ask anyway. When I built the the room I wired a coax wire through the wall and then I connect it with a coax cable with a RCA adapter seems to work good. Anyway room size is 20 long 12 wide 8 tall. Sub will go in the back right corner. Thank you everyone for their input.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No prob lakersfan I figured you just over looked it ya not a huge room by any means. I was thinking the VTF-2 MK3 might be on the big side for the size of the room but their site does say up to 4500 cu. ft not just a range. I have never had anything bigger than that onkyo and I think I miss alot when watching movies I can't say I hate it but I bet I will when I get this bad boy.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckguy68 /forum/post/17037145

Oh ya one more question since the VTF-2 MK3 has 2 low level inputs and my Onkyo only has one sub. output should I get a splitter and hook both up at the sub or just plug one in.

You should only need to plug into one (either the left or right low level input). The only reason to use a splitter is if the signal to the subwoofer is too weak to consistently trigger the subwoofer's auto-on function. If that is the case and increasing the subwoofer trim level in the receiver doesn't help, using a splitter will boost this signal. I'd highly doubt you'll need a splitter, though.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I pulled the trigger and got the VTF-2 MK3 called them tonight and I guess they have a sale coming up on them 50 bucks off next week well they went ahead and gave me the 50 bucks off so now I am really glad I called instead of getting it through their website. Should be here end of next week.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckguy68 /forum/post/17042043

Well I pulled the trigger and got the VTF-2 MK3 called them tonight and I guess they have a sale coming up on them 50 bucks off next week well they went ahead and gave me the 50 bucks off so now I am really glad I called instead of getting it through their website. Should be here end of next week.

Wow! A VTF-2 MK3 for $500 is a great deal. Let us know when you get it. I want to know what you think of it compared to your Onkyo sub

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ya I was really glad to get 50 bucks off and I will post my thoughts of it once I get it all installed I bet its such a difference its not even funny and I can't even say that I hate the sound from the onkyo but I have never really compared it to anything better. Thanks guys for all the input.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts