AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering if it is possible to run 2- Polk audio DSW micro pro 1000's or even dual subs at all on a home audio system? I am assuming it would require some sort of line out splitter from the sub output on the receiver? Has anyone else tried anything like this? Or would going to a bigger speaker like the DSW micropro 4000 be a better idea. I have also looked at the Outlaw speakers, i like those, i really want something with a lot of power, not leaning one way or another on ported or unported. Downfiring or front firing is not a big deal to me either, my tower speakers currently each have a 6 inch powered down firing subwoofer in each tower (polk towers).

1. prefer to stay under $1000, not looking to go to a sunfire or JL F113.

2. Unsure on size i want, would dual 8 inch subs be possible, and what would i get out of that? I think i want to go bigger to get the lower frequencies, probably a 12inch driver with 1000+ watts

3. roughly 6000 cubic feet of space, Mainly a square room, but opens to the kitchen, no walls. fairly open floor plan, 8 ft ceilings

4. Primary use will be movies/sports/tv 60% of the time, 30% music, 10% video gaming.

5. I like the pounding, i want to shake the floor when there are explosions in a movie, when listening to music, i like the low bass, i want to make sure it sounds great and i can push it hard without distortion when playing music, country, rap, rock, anything.

6. appearance: black, most are aesthetically pleasing to me, haven't seen anything i disliked.

7. I am going to buy soon, this week probably. Open to a lesser known brand if people have good reviews on it, although everything else in my set up is Polk audio and sound matched, i know a sub does not necessarily need to be polk.

8. i looked through the forum and didn't see anything that would answer my dual sub question, so i am posting.

thanks!

·
Registered
8,482 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofast_28 /forum/post/17013906

I am wondering if it is possible to run 2- Polk audio DSW micro pro 1000's or even dual subs at all on a home audio system? I am assuming it would require some sort of line out splitter from the sub output on the receiver? Has anyone else tried anything like this? Or would going to a bigger speaker like the DSW micropro 4000 be a better idea. I have also looked at the Outlaw speakers, i like those, i really want something with a lot of power, not leaning one way or another on ported or unported. Downfiring or front firing is not a big deal to me either, my tower speakers currently each have a 6 inch powered down firing subwoofer in each tower (polk towers).

1. prefer to stay under $1000, not looking to go to a sunfire or JL F113.

2. Unsure on size i want, would dual 8 inch subs be possible, and what would i get out of that? I think i want to go bigger to get the lower frequencies, probably a 12inch driver with 1000+ watts

3. roughly 6000 cubic feet of space, Mainly a square room, but opens to the kitchen, no walls. fairly open floor plan, 8 ft ceilings

4. Primary use will be movies/sports/tv 60% of the time, 30% music, 10% video gaming.

5. I like the pounding, i want to shake the floor when there are explosions in a movie, when listening to music, i like the low bass, i want to make sure it sounds great and i can push it hard without distortion when playing music, country, rap, rock, anything.

6. appearance: black, most are aesthetically pleasing to me, haven't seen anything i disliked.

7. I am going to buy soon, this week probably. Open to a lesser known brand if people have good reviews on it, although everything else in my set up is Polk audio and sound matched, i know a sub does not necessarily need to be polk.

8. i looked through the forum and didn't see anything that would answer my dual sub question, so i am posting.

thanks!

Don't know anything about Micropro subwoofers. If they don't use a standard connection that make it hard to run two of them.

But if you have an ordinary receiver all you need is a Y adaptor for less than $10 to run two standard subwoofers such as the SVS PB-12 Plus. There are quite a few good subs. There is some debate over whether it is best to use dual of lesser power vs. one of more power. For under $1,300 delivered you have a lot of choices.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So what would be a good list to chose from for $1300 and under delivered? I want high powered, i am familiar with car audio subwoofers, so of course the JL F113 is desired, but i can't spend that much. I want to go high power and a lot of thump though, probably a 12 of some sort. The reason i was looking at the dual DSW micropro 1000's was because newegg has them 62% off, for like 379 a piece right now instead of the list price of 899.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
Your 6,000 cubic foot space is pretty large, and if you really want "the pounding" you'll need a serious subwoofer (or two!). My recommendation is the Epik Phoenix.

http://www.epiksubwoofers.com/portedphoenix.html

The Phoenix has a large, high excursion 18" driver with a 600W RMS amplifier and two 4" downfiring ports. It should dig down well below 20hz and will have quite a bit of impact (i.e. "the pounding"). At $1,099 plus another $100-150 shipping, it's a bit over budget but its high output and deep extension should give you what you're looking for. It takes a SERIOUS subwoofer to pressurize a 6,000 cubic foot room, and I think the Phoenix is probably the most cost-effective way to get the bass you're looking for in your big space.

For the record, a single Phoenix will completely put two Polk DSW Micro Pro 1000's to shame. It's absolutely no contest at all. The SVS PB12-Plus that spyboy recommended is another good choice, though the Phoenix should best the PB12-Plus in output as well, and given your very large space, you can use all the output you can get IMO.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Though i agree with lalakers that the ported phoenix would be a great sub for a single sub option, i think you would be much better off with dual subs.

At 1k budget you could do something along the lines of:

2x Hsu VTF2-MK3:
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-2-mk3.html

2x eD A2-300's:
http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_...roducts_id=102

Most cost effective, best output:

2x AV123 MFW-15's:

(you will have to google the url)

The MFW-15 is by all reviews a badass sub, and easily the best price/perf out there. That being said, the initial runs had problems with the amps and has suched tarnished the image of AV123. From everything i've read, they've been exemplary about getting replacement, updated amps out to everyone who has requested one, and so far people with the replacement amps seem to be happy. That being said, the new amps are as yet untested over long periods, so there could still be problems.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
I keep forgetting about the MFW-15. After such a long period of time where I wouldn't touch one with a 10 foot pole, it looks like AV123 has its act together and the MFW-15 appears to be a viable option once again.

As for 2 cheaper subs versus one better sub, it's really tough to say which is better for this user, though I agree with you that getting two subs is certainly an option. I've had two decent subs (PB10-NSD's) and gone to one much better sub (Epik Castle) and found the Castle to be MUCH better in my setup. If the OP wants to smooth his FR over a large area in the room, two VTF-2 MK3's would be a better choice than a single Phoenix. The Phoenix/PB12-Plus should win out in output and extension. It's really a matter of personal preference. Besides, the OP can always add a second Phoenix/PB12-Plus later on if funds become available.

·
Registered
721 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalakersfan34 /forum/post/17018087

I keep forgetting about the MFW-15. After such a long period of time where I wouldn't touch one with a 10 foot pole, it looks like AV123 has its act together and the MFW-15 appears to be a viable option once again.

As for 2 cheaper subs versus one better sub, it's really tough to say which is better for this user, though I agree with you that getting two subs is certainly an option. I've had two decent subs (PB10-NSD's) and gone to one much better sub (Epik Castle) and found the Castle to be MUCH better in my setup. If the OP wants to smooth his FR over a large area in the room, two VTF-2 MK3's would be a better choice than a single Phoenix. The Phoenix/PB12-Plus should win out in output and extension. It's really a matter of personal preference. Besides, the OP can always add a second Phoenix/PB12-Plus later on if funds become available.

I agree with you, mostly. I think once you reach a certain point in terms of acceptable extension and sound quality, you will get more out of multiple subs than moving to a single more powerful sub. IMO that point is about $700-800 ish. As long as you get a sub that can do 18ish HZ or so with authority with acceptable SQ, then you would be better off adding multiple subs.

IMO the advantages are too great to ignore, much smoother response in more seating positions is a big deal, as well as you gain a lot more SPL with 2 subs vs 1.

The MFW-15 is as tested, about the equivalent of most other companies subs in the 750-900 range. I.E. its about the same as the eD A5-350. But the eD costs more. Now, i think once AV123 can distance itself from its initial issues, i think they will be able to charge more for that sub, given its performance capability. But for now, they can't be beat in terms of price/perf. But of course, there are other things to consider than just price/perf ;-)

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I would stay away for Polk audio subs, I can't believe they want so much money for their micropro series http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/subwoofers.php just unbelievable. For one thing you are only looking at power rating which isn't very accurate, my SVS with only 325 watts will play louder, lower, and cleaner than any of those chinzy Polk subs. Most everyone on here will agree than enclosure size is more important than power ratings, now power rating RMS is important just not the one thing you should focus on. Epik, HSU, SVS, Elemental Designs, Rhymik, Seaton, and D.I.Y subs are the only subs most members take seriously. Axiom also makes good subs they just need to be like half the price to be taken seriously. A pair of SVS PB12 NSDs, 2 ED A3 300s, HSU VTF3 pair all will be awesome choices.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the great input, i am looking up the AV123 MFW-15 right now, and have really pondered the Epik Phoenix. I am only a little ways from chicago, so shipping is cheap. Im really leaning towards one large sub, as i don't want to clutter my area too much.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The dual MFW-15 setup, because of shipping, becomes $100 more than the Epik Phoenix. I think since that is clearly a better sub, and i can add another one later, that the Phoenix is the best option, also, i only have to place one of them. A second one down the road sounds like a good plan, then i end up with 2 great subs. Thanks again for all your help, I'll let you guys know how impressed i am with it when i get it!

·
Registered
477 Posts
Great choice with the Phoenix. As a Phoenix owner I can say that it is a fine sub and will provide you with a great experience. Deep, tight, and authoritative bass. If you are close enough you could even skip shipping and go pick it up and meet Chad firsthand. Good luck and let us know what you think of it when you get it.

·
Registered
721 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofast_28 /forum/post/17023760

The dual MFW-15 setup, because of shipping, becomes $100 more than the Epik Phoenix. I think since that is clearly a better sub, and i can add another one later, that the Phoenix is the best option, also, i only have to place one of them. A second one down the road sounds like a good plan, then i end up with 2 great subs. Thanks again for all your help, I'll let you guys know how impressed i am with it when i get it!

Definitely a good long term plan ;-). I hope you enjoy it!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts