AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search, and didn't see anything that quite answered my question. I am looking for a sub for a 23ftx29ftx12ft room. My budget is $800 max. I am looking for something that 1. sounds good for both music and movies, and 2 gets loud. I would like something that can reach reference levels if that is possible for a room that large at that price.

The subs I have been looking at are:

SVS SB12-NSD

HSU VTF-15H (I know this one is a little over, but I can probably do the extra $50)

Klipsch XW-500d

·
Registered
468 Posts
SVS SB12-NSD is out. Small sealed enclosure won't give you the output you are looking for.

I just received my VTF-15H. Haven't had time to give it a real demo yet. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post19621002 Of the ones listed I think the VTF-15H would be your best choice. That is a large space to fill. I think many would say that even one VTF-15H would not be enough for reference levels. You could also consider a HSU VTF3.3, this would be better than the SB12-NSD in output.

Whichever sub you get, you will likely want to do a near field placement.

Daniel

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here's a picture of the room back when I was using it as a studio, the ceiling is a little odd as you can see:

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Maybe a pair of DIY tuba subs? I can't otherwise think of how to hit your budget....

8,000 cf is beyond the reach of any single production sub in that price range.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony123 /forum/post/19621373

Maybe a pair of DIY tuba subs? I can't otherwise think of how to hit your budget....

8,000 cf is beyond the reach of any single production sub in that price range.

Thanks, I'll look into those. I was also suggested a pair of DIY Lab Horns, would those also work for a theater application?

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
8000^3 feet is a large room. $800 for that size room will not get you close if you are looking for loud, reference levels. I have 10,000^3 feet and I am up to 4 subs. But you got to start somewhere and the new Hsu VTF15 is a good start. You just might need to enjoy the first one for awhile until you can save up to buy it's sibling. Another route would be to build an IB into the ceiling. Check out the DIY threads. They are very helpful over there.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony123 /forum/post/19621373

]8,000 cf is beyond the reach of any single production sub in that price range.

On a side note, if I save longer, is there a single production sub in a higher price range that can handle that? Or would it be better to go with multiple subs?

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Well, I'll start by qualifying my expertise as....well, very little.

skooba is correct, I didn't amend after seeing the photo.

I think that with reference levels being the goal, a good starting price point is going to be around $2k and you will likely need two of them. I know...it gets expensive. However, if you are willing to build yourself, the tuba or lab horned subs are a great option and will save you at least half the budget.

You are also going to need to be deliberate with mains to fill that space to reference. Have you considered any options?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony123 /forum/post/19621527

You are also going to need to be deliberate with mains to fill that space to reference. Have you considered any options?

I have mains that easily reach 125dBA

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Can I ask what they are?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony123 /forum/post/19621577

Can I ask what they are?

Nexo PS10's, Klipsch Reference for everything else. I know the PS10's aren't a theater speaker, but they sound just as good (if not better) than the Klipsch speakers. They'll probably be replaced after the subs though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts