AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I've checked out previous threads but really couldn't find any helpful or useful answers.

I have been eyeing the SVS PB10(which I previously owned) or the HSU VTF-1 for our apartment, which we own. The room that it would be going in has hardwood floors which are a big "no-no" if I remember correctly when it comes to subwoofers.

I originally got rid of the PB10 before we moved in because I just felt like it would be too much for the neighbors. Well after a year of blasting my Swan 2.1s, C3, and R2s I have yet to receive any kind of complaint. I've decided to bring in the LFE again.

I was looking at that compact SVS, as output is not my main priority, just some clean, enjoyable bass. But the $699 price tag is just way too much. I figured either the HSU or the SVS could be used with the gain turned down just a little bit and placing either one next to my seating.

Are there any other options I should check out? Remember I'm not looking for the lowest extension as this will be an apartment. I'm just looking for something to provide a little more flat bass to my listening experience.

The unit will be used mostly for movies, gaming. And when company is over some music. I guess my main question is since i know that I don't need all the power I remember the PB10 having is the VTF1 a good alternative or are the other cheaper, high quality, size conscious items out there?

·
Registered
8,412 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpalmieri1203 /forum/post/14231369

Hello,

I've checked out previous threads but really couldn't find any helpful or useful answers.

I have been eyeing the SVS PB10(which I previously owned) or the HSU VTF-1 for our apartment, which we own. The room that it would be going in has hardwood floors which are a big "no-no" if I remember correctly when it comes to subwoofers.

I originally got rid of the PB10 before we moved in because I just felt like it would be too much for the neighbors. Well after a year of blasting my Swan 2.1s, C3, and R2s I have yet to receive any kind of complaint. I've decided to bring in the LFE again.

I was looking at that compact SVS, as output is not my main priority, just some clean, enjoyable bass. But the $699 price tag is just way too much. I figured either the HSU or the SVS could be used with the gain turned down just a little bit and placing either one next to my seating.

Are there any other options I should check out? Remember I'm not looking for the lowest extension as this will be an apartment. I'm just looking for something to provide a little more flat bass to my listening experience.

The unit will be used mostly for movies, gaming. And when company is over some music. I guess my main question is since i know that I don't need all the power I remember the PB10 having is the VTF1 a good alternative or are the other cheaper, high quality, size conscious items out there?

If you can wait several months the Scamp 10 is a winner. Search Tweak City Audio Forum. Probably about $275 delivered.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy /forum/post/14231508

If you can wait several months the Scamp 10 is a winner. Search Tweak City Audio Forum. Probably about $275 delivered.

I've never heard of this unit before I'll have to check it out. Have you personally heard one? What is the extension and is it a relatively flat subwoofer? That is my main concern.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpalmieri1203 /forum/post/14231369

Hello,

the eD A2-300 for $315 shipped

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
You don't have to limit your sub purchase because you live in a apartment/condo. Just turn it down.

You don't plan on living in an apartment/condo forever do you? If you have the money now, plan ahead. No need to rebuy later to make the upgrade you should have got in the first place.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklac /forum/post/14232097

You don't have to limit your sub purchase because you live in a apartment/condo. Just turn it down.

You don't plan on living in an apartment/condo forever do you? If you have the money now, plan ahead. No need to rebuy later to make the upgrade you should have got in the first place.

We do plan on living in the NYC area for quite awhile. Probably not in our 1 bedroom but still I'll most likely have people living close to me for the foreseeable future.

I'm interested in the Scamp after reading but it sounds like a whole bunch of hype. The STF2 is looking like a great option as well for my type of setting.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I live in NYC as well.

Along the lines of the original poster's concerns, does anyone who lives in an apt/ condo have a downward firing sub. Interested, but it seems like asking for trouble in an apt.

Currently have front firing sub that sits on shelf about 6 inches of the ground. Apt is in the corner, and only share 1 wall on that floor (but do have people living under us), but have had no complaints.

·
Registered
5,213 Posts
I live in a condo, and the living room has a 2-way setup with 2 18" drivers and 3kW of power, with a 15" driver powered by 2kW in a separate nearfield system. The building is older and rather solid (I've been in the flat below and had someone turn up my system until it was audible below, and it took levels beyond what I would consider fun to make any dent at all), but still.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Truth is you can acheive very little in this area without becoming unpopular with your neighbours - or worse.

So I wouldnt spend much money on this, unless maybe you live in a loft with concrete walls two foot thick. :) I am in the same situation (apt in city) and I ended up just getting an Aperion S8-APR. No, its not sexy in the specs, but it does the job for movies and music. Once can certainly do better in terms of LFE, but steeply diminishing returns for that since those are the very frequencies that will get you on trouble.

There is a world of subs to chose from that can do what you want, but either way, you will be basically buying a Ferrari and driving it at 30mph. So whatever it is, I would cap the costs and go for a low end unit from a good manufacturer to get clean output at least. Probably the cheapest HSU would be my recommendation. Already overspeced as it is but will do a great job.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts