AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard a lot of conflicting answers on this, and was hoping to hear some opinions.

1) I have heard it is best to set the subwoofer channel all the way down turn up the volume on the back of the sub all the way up (and of course tweak it to match the other speakers) in order to avoid distortion from the receiver.

2)I have heard it is best to not turn the sub channel too far below 0, because at lower volume levels the auto on feature on the sub will not activate.

These are two very different point of views. Is either one right? Does it depend on equipment used?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Greg

·
Registered
239 Posts
Good question...I wonder the same myself. mine is sitting on -3.5db and the back of the sub is about 1/4 to 1/3 the way up. I guess you could say I am in between the 2 options you listed on top.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
I would suggest setting the receiver's sub level to '0', along with the other channels, set the sub level to match the rest with the sub's control, and then use the receiver for fine tuning from that point on.

Just as in car audio, the higher the voltage on the cable between the receiver and the amp, the lower the noise level will be, because less overall amplification within the sub will be necessary.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info guys. In doing some research on this myself, I noticed that SVS has suggested setting you receiver at -6 (on a -12 to +12 scale). "This will allow your amp to work with the cleanest signal possible from your receiver, while still leaving plenty of downward adjustment you can use from your viewing position (using the remote). " Both arguments make sense to me. I am confused to say the least.

Greg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.