AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have 2 Sony SACS9 subs connected to a STR-DN1050 receiver. I have them connected via the 2 sub out lines. I have no idea how to properly setup the speakers. I have a 7.2 setup and used the auto calibration option with the receiver . I don't really hear much of a bass sound from the subs for whatever reason. What should I have the levels set to on the back of the sub? Should I have it set to reverse, or normal? The overall sound is good, I am just wondering how to kick up the bass a little. Again, I am no expert at home audio. If I need to provide more details, let me know. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out, and if I have posted in the wrong thread, please forgive me.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Google for instructions on doing the "subwoofer crawl" to find the best place for the subs. After positioning, set the sub gain to nominal or recommended in the manual then tweak the level in the AVR.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Yes, enable the AVR's bass management if your main speakers are not full-range floor standing Daleks capable of mid to low bass.

Be aware that you cannot "hear" (echo locate) the low bass typically output from subs. At a THX-recommended cross over of 80Hz, the bass content from the sub can't be located as coming from the sub - you have to rest your hand on the vinyl surround of the sub's woofer to determine that it's working. Or play something like a Boston Acoustic Society test CD with recordings that have content < 50Hz.

Bass management changes this. If you have e.g. bookshelf speakers you can set the AVR cross over at 120Hz or even a bit higher and THEN you might "hear" bass coming from the sub.

I don't know what your AVR's bass management capabilities are, you'll have to review the owner's manual.

// Posted from Tapatalk 3.2.1 for iOS - later versions are pfft. //

·
Registered
12,983 Posts
This procedure will be slightly different with your Sony AVR, but the basic concept is the same.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Set the gain on both subs to the same level - around 12:00-2:00 on the gain knob is a good starting point (just a starting point, gain structure can vary greatly from one manufacturer to another). Set phase to "0" on both subs for now.

1. Connect sub #1 only and place it at the MLP
2. Do the sub crawl to determine the best position for sub #1
3. Place sub #1 in that position
4. Connect both subs and place sub #2 at the MLP (with sub #1 playing as well)
5. Do the sub crawl to determine the best position for sub #2
6. Place sub #2 in that position
7. Playing the AVRs test tone, adjust phase on one of the subs until you get the maximum SPL at the MLP (could be variable or a simple 0/180 switch) (if you have SubEQ HT, skip this step)
8. Run Audyssey, first mic position only, and "calculate"
9. Look to see where Audyssey has set your sub trim, you want it to be around -6db to -8db ideally
10. Adjust the gain on both subs by the same amount up or down as needed
11. Repeat 8-10 until you get the sub trim around -6db to -8db
12. Run the full Audyssey calibration
13. Set all speakers to "small"
14. Set all crossovers to 80hz (or, if set higher than 80hz by Audyssey, leave them alone)
15. Bump up the sub trim by 3db to 6db to your preference
16. Enjoy!

Reactions: crazyrob425
1 - 5 of 5 Posts