AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently trying to get more punch out of my PDR 12 it is currently connected to a Integra 7.2. I sent the QA into Secrets of Home theater

and they said that the sub just does not have enough power. And that I should try to hook it up as the center channel to get more power. Does anyone know how to do this? THanks Jon

·
Registered
541 Posts
We need some more information about how your sub is currently connected...

What sized room, and what kind of speakers.

Are you using a sub cable to connect to the LFE/subwoofer jack, or are you using the speaker cable type inputs on the sub?

If you're using sub (rca style) cable, is your receiver set to output all bass to the sub or only the LFE? (This is a common problem when people first get a sub, LFE is the ".1" in 5.1 and is only a portion of the low end information. You probably want to direct all bass to the sub and set your main speakers to small).

If you're using sub cables and have all bass directed to the sub, you should next experiment with placement. Putting the sub in a corner usually increases the output of the sub considerably.

Of course it goes without saying that you should adjust the control on the sub to acheive the right output.

Hope this helps..pc

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help

I a currently using an Integra 7.2 Rec Paradigm Monitor series speakers. And a PDR 12 sub. The PDR 12 uses the RCA style of Input whickh is what I currently am using. It also has the sub sat inputs. I have worked with placement extensively. THe sub goes pretty deep it just does not have any punch to it. Crossover is set at 80HZ All speakers are set to small. I have had the set up for quite some time just never been able to get the punch out of it.

·
Registered
836 Posts
What they meant (in the q/a) was get a new sub, and use your old one as a center ch sub.

Sounds to me like your sub isn't reproducing the higher freqeucies very well.

Punchy bass is usually midbass, or higher requency bass. This is usually bass in the 150-500hz region.

What I suggest is setting your speakers to 'large' and test them out to see if you get the 'punch' you are looking for.

Do you have any tone generator?

Do you have any way of playing certain tones (or frequencies) through your system?

If so, you need to play the tones, starting at 20hz (deep bass) and sweep all the way up to the high freqeuncies. What you are listnening for is when the bass rolls-off, or becomes less punchy.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Before I would even consider recommending you replace the sub, you should drop $25.00 on an SPL meter and make sure your ears aren't deceiving you. The PDR-12 is a good sub and should have more than adequate output to keep up with the monitors. Realize that much of what people describe as "Punch" is mid-bass which does not come from the sub.

That said, if you try everything and just aren't happy with the amount of output, there are plenty of other subs out there. I believe the Adire Rava has been described as "musical" in this price range which generally means it is a "faster" sub (time from excursion to rest is short. My HSU VTF is also pretty fast. I think a faster sub might give you more of the "punch" you seem to desire.

Again, I am not recommending you buy a new sub until you have completely exhausted other alternatives with the PDR.

(also forgot to mention in last post that you defeat the PDR12's crossover or, if not possible, turn it all the way up).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.