AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a dedicated theater room with a five year old Boston Acoustics HPS 12HO 12-inch 300-watt sub....loaded up a blu ray and it sounded funny during the previews, like it was stuck....pressed pause, and it was making weird noises....and it stopped. Bad ozone type smell, no power. Took the rear fuse thing off and the fuse is melted- So no idea how to fix, if I should fix, or if I should start shopping for a new one (any recommendations for something nice under 500?) Guess this could be a good reason to upgrade!?

Thanks for any info....

·
Banned
16,232 Posts
Sounds like your amp fried. Might have damaged the driver in the process so perhaps you could replace amp and continue, but perhaps not. You comfortable in taking it apart and testing the driver separately? However, unless you have a suitable spare amp on hand, this may not be worth it. Since there are so many nice sub offerings out there....my vote would be....time to upgrade!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the feedback.... No....no idea about taking it apart....I got it on clearance for 200 5 yes ago so def got my money out of it...so just replacing the fuse is probably a waste of time? With the smell etc I kinda thought that...any recs in the 500 and under range that are a step up from this one?

·
Banned
16,232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hook13  /t/1527061/subwoofer-smells-blew-fuse-no-power-what-happened#post_24600327

Thanks for the feedback.... No....no idea about taking it apart....I got it on clearance for 200 5 yes ago so def got my money out of it...so just replacing the fuse is probably a waste of time? With the smell etc I kinda thought that...any recs in the 500 and under range that are a step up from this one?

You'd need to determine what blew the fuse before replacing it in any case but from your description and that sub I'd say its not worth the time.....unless you just would like to take it apart and figure out what went wrong and go from there...

For the $500 range I'd look at Reaction Audio's BPS212 Turbo http://reaction-audio.myshopify.com/collections/frontpage/products/bps-212-turbo-powered-subwoofer or a $500 offering from SVS Audio.

·
Registered
809 Posts
If I had to guess, IMO the amp is fried. $200....you definitely got your money's worth. I think lovinthehd

of a Reaction Audio recommendation is definitely a good one. They are a new company, but initial reports of

early adaptors of their subs are very positive.

vardo

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
You can consider a replacement amp from Parts Express.

You should check your driver. If you have a volt/ohm meter put it in resistance mode (ohms). If a 4 ohm driver is ok, it will register around 3.5 or 3.8 ohms. Similarly, an 8 ohm driver will measure somewhat less than 8 ohms.

If the driver is destroyed, the ohm reading will jump all over the place. It is a very bad idea to hook a new plate amp to a bad driver.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK decided to replace, my placement is a little unique though...it's 20x18', basement room. sub will be part of a 7.1 setup that includes NHT IW4s, 3s, in the wall....the sub itself sat with all the equipment in a small closet under the stairs, with a cutout into the room (front firing)...wasn't sure if it would work, but I think it turned out great- The reaction audio sub recommended looks sweet, and would fit (BPS212) - also seeing deals on the PB12 and in the SVS outlet store...both in my price range...so I'm not much of an expert on sealed vs ported, or which of these would work given my sorta different application, but would love some input- both companies reporting their products will work and probably can't go wrong...pics attached for some reference, threw an old mtx sub in there for now (which is thoroughly disappointing me right now)
sub1.jpg 130k .jpg file
sub2.jpg 142k .jpg file so which is best bang for the buck? 100 % movie/tv watching...

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts