AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I've been looking through these posts for some weeks now, finally decided to post my first thread on this forum.

I have an old Yamah integrated amp, it doesn't have an LFE output, so in order to integrate a subwoofer into the system, I am forced to use the speaker level output to connect the amp to the subwoofer, then from the subwoofer to the speakers.

Does the subwoofer crossover extract out all the low frequencies in this connection, or do the speakers still sea a full frequency signal?

If I have my subwoofer turned off, will my speakers receive a full frequency signal? Or do I have to turn the subwoofer crossover to 40 Hz (40-140 Hz).

Thanks

·
Registered
859 Posts
Umm... na.. it just passes the info back out to your speakers. the OTHER alternative is.. conect two sets of wires on the receiver's outputs.

one set goes to the speakr.. the other set goes directly to the subs.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Actually, with a few exceptions, the speaker-level inputs and outputs are passively crossed over; therefore, the lows are usually filtered from the mains all of the time. Turning the bub off means that the lows just go nowhere at all. Paralleling the sub and speakers would have the full range go to the speakers.

You should be able to answer these questions with your own ears; the differences would be clearly audible.

·
Banned
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the answers guys. I am a little hesitant to use both sets of speaker outputs at the same time, since I have an old integrated amp, will that burn up the amp?

I am using a set of bookshelf speakers as my mains, I can't really tell the if the bass frequencies have been filtered or not with the subwoofer turned off.

·
Banned
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So my question now is, with this passive cross over feature, when the subwoofer is turned off, and I want to feed a full frequency signal from the amp to the speakers, through the subwoofer, what should I do?

Should I turn the high pass knob on the subwoofer all the way down the lowest mark (40-140 Hz)? Will this help? Or am I still losing some low frequency signal in the process?

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
As long as the crossover setting affects the speaker-level high-pass outputs, and it should, then yes, turning the knob to 40 Hz will pass all above 40 Hz to the mains. That between 20 Hz and 40 Hz will be lost, assuming the mains were capable of reproducing them otherwise.

The test would be to turn the knob, with bass-containing sound playing, with the sub off, and see if the bass sound from the mians can be changed with the turning of the knob.

·
Banned
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the help guys, really appreciate it.

And by the way Larry, checked out your setup, you have an awseome system! Just curious, much did all that cost you? And what's a good price for the sunfire stereo amp? Looks really impressive.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.