AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a plasma TV. Just using the speaker outputs to run two "generic" left/right speakers.

I don't want to get into a surround sound system with yet another piece of equipment. Our TV room is small - about 8' by 10'. I would like to enhance our HDTV watching experience by adding a subwoofer.

Question: Is there anything negative about using a powered subwoofer as an adjunct to the two speakers i now have? Most of these seem to come with speaker inputs as well as line inputs. I would, of course, be using the speaker powered inputs. Is there any "negative" to using speaker powered inputs vis a vis line inputs?

Thanks.

...mike

P.S. We watch almost no DVDs - mainly "regular" TV and some HDTV.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
You can do that no problem. Then use the crossover control on the sub to dial it in to match as best you can the speakers you already have, and the level control too.

However this will only work if the audio source is sending full range to the speakers you have connected already, the sub can't amplify a signal that is not there, if for example the audio source is using bass management and not send the low frequences down the speaker cable. If you follow what I mean.

This is why the bass management on AVR's is so useful, you can tell the reciever what frequency range your speakers go down to, then it shunts the rest of the signal to the sub - this only works with line level inputs. To use high level inputs the reciever has to send the full freq. range to the speakers.

- Rick

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your explanation. The (small) built-in amp on my plasma does, of course, send the full range to the speaker outputs.

I didn't know speakers came both w. line inputs and speaker inputs. It has been a long time since i shopped for speakers - and they all used to come w. just line inputs. We have our music sound system in the living room - the speakers i am looking for will just be for the TV.

...mike

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.