AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have my 6 subs pulled down for cleaning

before i "re-stack" them, which stack pattern do you think would give the best "coupling"

room is rectangle, subs are stacked on the front left and front right corners, sealed subs, forward firing

do you think there's much of a difference between these 3 stack patterns ?

this is not to "scale" by the way, there is a much wider gap between the left and right stacks

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Depends on how large the subwoofers are and what frequency you are crossing at.

You are playing the height based room mode with those alternatives. However, most height based modes are pretty high in frequency, so it may not matter. Depends on how high your ceilings are.

If you have 8' ceilings and cross at 60hz, I don't think you would really catch much of a difference at all.

I take it you cannot distribute your subwoofers throughout your room similar to the Harmon paper for multiple subwoofers?

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
8' ceiling

these 6 are receiving signal from the LFE channel only (no other channels) so i keep the LP around 60hz on each sub

the Harmon set-up wont work in my room (no room to do it correctly)

·
Registered
8,497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by otk /forum/post/14173979

before i "re-stack" them, which stack pattern do you think would give the best "coupling"

room is rectangle, subs are stacked on the front left and front right corners, sealed subs, forward firing

this is not to "scale" by the way, there is a much wider gap between the left and right stacks

CONTACT US

WE WANT TO HEAR FROM YOU

"Whether you want to share your joy about Definitive Loudspeakers, or you have a question or two about anything from setup to repair, we are here for you. That's the Definitive difference."

It might make sense to contact Def Tech as they made your subs. As with the Internet Direct companies, Def Tech is in a position to answer your question, and they will answer it definitively.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Frankly, Id just set up the middle setup, take measurements, slide the subwoofer over for the 3rd setup, take measurements, and then try your first setup and take measurements. If your subwoofers are so heavy as to not be practical to lift to the third level, then, I guess there is your answer

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy /forum/post/14174236

CONTACT US

WE WANT TO HEAR FROM YOU

"Whether you want to share your joy about Definitive Loudspeakers, or you have a question or two about anything from setup to repair, we are here for you. That's the Definitive difference."

It might make sense to contact Def Tech as they made your subs. As with the Internet Direct companies, Def Tech is in a position to answer your question, and they will answer it definitively.

hi spyboy

·
Premium Member
3,143 Posts
There will be zero difference in coupling between any of those setups at subwoofer frequencies. The main difference as Jonomega mentioned will be the effect on the vertical room mode. The first option should produce slightly better vertical distribution than the other two.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts

Quote:

Six subs?
Wow !!

Wish I could offer more input than that, but............I can't.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
8,497 Posts

Quote:

If you read about the Field Trip to J L Audio, you will see that they "just happened" to have 7 subs going during the demo. Six F112's up front and one F113 in the back.

I would probably contact Manville Smith and ask how they had the front 6 subs set up. I thought that I read in that thread that they had two F112's stacked and one to the side, but I didn't see that when I re-read the thread.

I doubt that Manville Smith would mind if you asked how those 6 subs were set up for the demo. If you do not want to contact Manville Smith, perhaps someone who attended remembers how the front 6 were set-up.

The list of attendees is near the beginning of the thread.

Having a studly sub in the back of the room isn't likely to have just happened. Someone already made the suggestion that you try one sub in the back of the room.

I would probably experiment with 2 of the 6 subs placed nearfield with their crossover possibly turned down to ~40-50 Hz.

·
Registered
3,451 Posts

Part of my setup.

Not much is needed to see the limitless capability of a super stack/array. The output and extension are awe inspiring. LMS-Ultra/Revo/TC-3000 and RL-p all 15's in pairs. This is 2/5 th of the final setup(number of drivers).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts