AVS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5.1.4 Setup with Dolby Vision capable OLED
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.

Got an issue going on tonight and hoping to maybe get a little help or insight as to what's going on.

I have a Onkyo HT-RC270 AVR with a simple setup using the Infinity System TSS-800 speakers and sub. Had this set up a number of years, no issues.

Tonight I was watching a movie and suddenly realized I had no bass. I went to check the sub and sure enough, not a peep coming from it.

I've checked everything I can think of. I checked the cable at both ends. I tried a different sub connection in the back of my AVR. I usually have the sub connected through the sub's LFE input but even tried the other options, L and R. I power cycled the sub and receiver several times. When the sub turns on, I do hear a "click" inside like something is engaging.

The sub is on and getting power and the light is green as if it's getting a signal but still no sound. My AVR configuration is set correctly, sub set to ON, etc. Just no sound. All the other speakers work fine during a tone test.

I'm inclined to think this isn't the AVR, but I can't say for sure. This is the first time I have ever had any kind of speaker go out on me. I don't know if there is anything I can do? Anything I can test?

The sub is probably about 6-7 years old so I suppose it's possible it just "went out."

Looking for any ideas or thoughts on what my issue might be.

Thank you!

·
Registered
405 Posts
If it's ported, smell inside for the signature burnt electronics smell. Otherwise you'll have to open it up and look at both the amp and driver for damage.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't detect any smell. If I open it up, what am i looking for?

·
Registered
405 Posts
On the amp, the most obvious things to look for are scorch marks, burnt capacitors, things that are easy to see are wrong. Less obvious things like a broken solder joint can be really hard to find.

·
Registered
14,480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeonstar  /t/1522325/subwoofer-stopped-working#post_24475947

I don't detect any smell. If I open it up, what am i looking for?

With the sub on, push on the driver and see if starts playing. If not check the positivie and negative leads to the voice coil on the driver. I recently had a psw505 have a similar issue and it ended uo being the positive lead to the voice coil came loose and I had to re-solder the connection.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I didn't detect any smells and pushing on the woofer didn't do anything.

Is there a chance my receiver is the problem? I don't see how, but I figured I would ask. It has 2 sub out plugs and I've tried both. Even toggled sub off and back on. No luck.

·
Registered
28,913 Posts
if the sub is powered on and connected with a cable if you touch the other end of the cable with your finger you should get a humming sound.

If nothing then maybe the sub is dead. Are there any fuses?

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I tried touching the cable last night. Not a peep. It does have a fuse, which I did check and it seems fine. No sign of burnt/blown out.

Been considering the last day or to that it is indeed dead and already looking to get a new one. Did a good deal of research and I am close to settling on a Dayton Sub-1200.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wish I did. My AVR does have several sub outputs and I did try them all but nothing from any. But if I touch the sub connector when it's plugged into the sub only and I am not getting any feedback, that's a pretty good sign it's dead is it not?

The sub turns on, the light is green and I can even hear a click inside of something engaging after a moment or two but simply no sound at all.

The one thing I haven't did is a complete reset of my AVR. I read that can maybe help if something got messed up. I just would hate to do that and have to reset ALL my settings, speakers... everything!

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeonstar  /t/1522325/subwoofer-stopped-working#post_24482622

Wish I did. My AVR does have several sub outputs and I did try them all but nothing from any. But if I touch the sub connector when it's plugged into the sub only and I am not getting any feedback, that's a pretty good sign it's dead is it not?

Got any 3.5mm to RCA adapters like this: http://www.amazon.com/Cables-3-Feet-3-5mm-Audio-iPod-White/dp/B000O7EXCA/

If so, you could try your sub with an mp3 player. Try both the LFE input (using one channel) and the RCAs.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
In addition to CEL4145's advice, you can connect a dvd player directly using the rca inputs. Make sure that you turn down the power on the amplifier before connecting. If no sound, then likely amp problem.

You can also check the driver by connecting a 9 volt battery to the plus and minus connections on the driver. It is even better to check the driver with a volt/ohm meter. The resistance (ohms) should be somewhat less than the rated ohms of the driver. It the ohm reading fluctuates widely, then your driver is completely dead.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That is actually a great idea and I will be trying that tonight. I do have one of those Y cables. I assume if this works I would only hear low end sounds, but it will still be enough to tell me if the sub is working.

I doubt it is though, all signs point to it simply going out.

I've already ordered a new Dayton Sub-1200. Should be coming in a day or two. Looking forward to it!

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeonstar  /t/1522325/subwoofer-stopped-working#post_24493219

That is actually a great idea and I will be trying that tonight. I do have one of those Y cables. I assume if this works I would only hear low end sounds, but it will still be enough to tell me if the sub is working.

Yep. Go ahead and make certain the crossover is turned up on the sub--just to make it easier to hear. Then get some good bass music going

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am also having a similar issue with my sub. When I connect the Y cable to it I hear sound but it's very faint. This is the case with the sub sound turned all the way up. Does this mean a bad sub? Sub is only 1.5 years old. Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Some additional info

Using a integra dtr 30.4

Sub is 12" speakercraft

Connecting sub by LFE to subwoofer on DTR

No sound to the sub.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
MDCoyle. repeat of what I put in above.

In addition to CEL4145's advice, you can connect a dvd player directly using the rca inputs. Make sure that you turn down the power on the amplifier before connecting. If no sound, then likely amp problem.

You can also check the driver by connecting a 9 volt battery to the plus and minus connections on the driver. It is even better to check the driver with a volt/ohm meter. The resistance (ohms) should be somewhat less than the rated ohms of the driver. It the ohm reading fluctuates widely, then your driver is completely dead.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts