AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am something of an AV newbie and looking for suggestions on a subwoofer. My current setup uses an Onkyo 705 receiver, Klipsch RF-62 fronts, and a Klipsch RC-35 center. I would prefer to stay in the Klipsch Reference line, but would consider another line or brand for a good reason. I am trying to stay under $500 (preferably closer to 300-400).

My first thought is the Klipsch RW-10d, but I have also noticed Audioholics is pretty enthusiastic about the Hsu Research STF-1. How would these stack up against something less expensive like Klipsch's RPW-10 or KSW-12?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by benh999 /forum/post/14175299

I am something of an AV newbie and looking for suggestions on a subwoofer. My current setup uses an Onkyo 705 receiver, Klipsch RF-62 fronts, and a Klipsch RC-35 center. I would prefer to stay in the Klipsch Reference line, but would consider another line or brand for a good reason. I am trying to stay under $500 (preferably closer to 300-400).

My first thought is the Klipsch RW-10d, but I have also noticed Audioholics is pretty enthusiastic about the Hsu Research STF-1. How would these stack up against something less expensive like Klipsch's RPW-10 or KSW-12?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

There is no reason to get a Klipsch sub. You can do better with an internet direct subwoofer. If you can wait, there is a new sub coming out called the Scamp 10. Probably about $275 or less delivered.

Do a search of Tweak City Audio and you will find the Scamp 10.

If you can't wait that long, the Ed A2-300 is a very good way to go.

Ed is another internet direct company like HSU and many others.

You might be a good candidate for the SVS PB-10 NSD. Less than $500 delivered and has flat response to about 19 Hz. Klipsch won't come near 19Hz.

Take some time and read about the internet direct offerings.

·
Registered
686 Posts
The Klipsch RW-10d is only rated down to 28hz @ - 3db and the eD A2-300 goes down to 18hz @ -3db. They both have similar power ratings of about 250w. The Klipsch looks nicer, but will not hold a candle to the eD in performance and the eD is $200 less with no tax or shipping charges. Seems like an easy choice, I frickin love mine. While watching Cloverfield in TrueHD the other night, our theater chairs' footrests were bouncing our feet up off them. You won't get that for $300 from a B&M sub.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
yep. what they all said. Can't beat eD at that price point.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Stick with the eD.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.