AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Room Size 12 X 18. Ceiling 7.5'. Diagram & photos attached.

Usage: TV 40%, Movies 30%, Music 20 %, XBOX 10%.

Max Budget: $600

Speakers: EMP Tek 5.1

Options
- SVS PB-1000
- HSU VTF2 MK4
- Rythmk LV12R
- Outlaw LFM EX1

Thanks a lot for your help & suggestions!

EDIT:
Sorry about the bad title. Should be 1600 cu ft... math is hard!

Attachments

·
Banned
8,743 Posts
The Outlaw LFM-1 EX has been replaced with the Outlaw Ultra X12. From that list I would get the 12" woofer subs and not the 10" woofer sub. The Outlaw would be a bit more expensive at around 700 shipped but it would be the most powerful.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
How about DIY? You could grab a flat pack, a 15" driver and an amp (inuke?).

That could be a fun and relatively easy project. Do it over a warm weekend, outside, with a few cold beers. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How about DIY? You could grab a flat pack, a 15" driver and an amp (inuke?).

That could be a fun and relatively easy project. Do it over a warm weekend, outside, with a few cold beers. :rolleyes:
Thanks for the suggestion. This is my first system so I'm not looking for DIY.

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
Room Size 12 X 18. Ceiling 7.5'. Diagram & photos attached.

Usage: TV 40%, Movies 30%, Music 20 %, XBOX 10%.

Max Budget: $600

Speakers: EMP Tek 5.1

Options
- SVS PB-1000
- HSU VTF2 MK4
- Rythmk LV12R
- Outlaw LFM EX1

Thanks a lot for your help & suggestions!

EDIT:
Sorry about the bad title. Should be 1600 cu ft... math is hard!
When you stated EMP Tek 5.1, you’re not talking about their small 5.1 and 7.1 systems are you? If you are talking about the R5Bi’s, then you’ll have a really nice sounding system.

The subwoofer choices are solid. I might prefer the Rythmik LV12R or the Outlaw Ultra-X12, but I don’t think you’d go wrong with any of them. One thing you need to do is add a large area rug, some paintings and/or rug art on the walls to help dampen the sound.

Reactions: loopwhile1

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes 5 r5bi! Thanks for the rug suggestion.

I could up the budget to 700 if that would match the room size better. Unfortunately, neither Hsu or SVS or rhythmic have $700 offerings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,088 Posts

I could up the budget to 700 if that would match the room size better. Unfortunately, neither Hsu or SVS or rhythmic have $700 offerings.

1600 ft^3 is a smaller sized room, so a PB1000 should do fine. Either that or the Rythmik LV12R. If you are willing to get up in the $700 range, SVS often has the PB2000 for $729 in their outlet. It's often dangerous to your wallet once you start climbing the budget ladder, however. ;)

Reactions: dsrussell

·
Registered
5,836 Posts

That’s great to hear. Those R5Bi’s perform well above their price point!

Your room is small enough that the subwoofers you have chosen should perform very well indeed. The $700 mark is kind of like an orphan (not many to choose from). PSA is bringing back a couple of their older designs to help fill that void. The XV15 ported model is at $700 (they provide shipping both ways and a 30-day trial period). For movies, it should be extremely impressive in that room. For music, it should be good, but not outstanding (the Rythmik should be better with music). EDIT: Unless they are using the same driver that they have in their SE models. If so, the music performance should be very good.

http://www.powersoundaudio.com/collections/subwoofers/products/xv15

They also have a newer (not their newest) XS15se sealed model @ $800, which is much better for music (a better driver, but PSA could be using the same driver in the XV15 -- check with Tom) and should be fairly close to XV15 for movies, especially in your room.

http://www.powersoundaudio.com/collections/subwoofers/products/xs15se

Anyway, these are just options to consider. Talk to ALL the companies and their owners/designers to get a good feel for their company and products. Check out their specs, sizes, weights, warranties and shipping policies.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1600 ft^3 is a smaller sized room, so a PB1000 should do fine. Either that or the Rythmik LV12R. If you are willing to get up in the $700 range, SVS often has the PB2000 for $729 in their outlet. It's often dangerous to your wallet once you start climbing the budget ladder, however. ;)

Cool! This is music to my ears. It reduces my budget by $200-300

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Don't really intend on playing really really loud. But I do like clean accurate sound. A bit of thumb feeling low bass will also be nice :)

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
Cool! This is music to my ears. It reduces my budget by $200-300

Yeah, if you are more inclined to spend less than your initial budget as opposed to more, the PB1000 would be an excellent choice for your room. The sub will get you down to 18Hz, has a full 5 year warranty, plus if for any reason it doesn't work for you, SVS offers a 45 day free return period. You risk no $$ at least trying the PB1000. Also, if you later decide to run dual subs, getting another PB1000 will again cost you less, plus you'll get a small repeat customer discount. Here's a good review on the PB1000.
http://www.soundandvision.com/content/review-svs-pb-1000-subwoofer-measurements

Reactions: loopwhile1

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

I recently missed a deal on the pc12nsd :(. I had it in my cart. This has me looking at the pc2000. I like its small footprint. Now I'm pretty confused. Earlier recommendations said that I should be good with the pb1000. I'm assuming a small room will give me some low bass gain. Is that true?

Unfortunately the way my room is shaping up I'll have to put the sub pretty close to the couch. Either behind or to the side. I want to minimize localization effects. Also floor space is becoming a premium.

I see the pc2000 would run me around 729 (refurbished). This is not a huge amount of $ difference (I'll have save another few months). Will this be worth the upgrade? Or will the bigger sub be harder to place in my smallish room?

Thoughts appreciated.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts