AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I just purchased a Denon AVR-1910 receiver from Best Buy and I need suggestions and advice on what subwoofer to buy for my receiver. It is going to be set up in my living room/dining area. The area is 25 x 20 with 12 foot high ceilings. I want something with a very good thumb that won't make me go even more broke. My front speakers are Polk Monitor 70's and a Polk CS10 center speaker. Also, I have hooked up an old subwoofer before using an audio cable plugged into the "subwoofer pre out" on the back of an old receiver. Is this the best way to hook up a receiver? And what are the "Speaker Level Output", "Speaker Level Input" all about on the back of a lot of subwoofers where you plug in regular speaker wire? What is the purpose of that? Thanks!

·
Registered
30,797 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstephens78 /forum/post/18223094

Hello,

I just purchased a Denon AVR-1910 receiver from Best Buy and I need suggestions and advice on what subwoofer to buy for my receiver. It is going to be set up in my living room/dining area. The area is 25 x 20 with 12 foot high ceilings. I want something with a very good thumb that won't make me go even more broke. My front speakers are Polk Monitor 70's and a Polk CS10 center speaker. Also, I have hooked up an old subwoofer before using an audio cable plugged into the "subwoofer pre out" on the back of an old receiver. Is this the best way to hook up a receiver?

YEs.

Quote:
And what are the "Speaker Level Output", "Speaker Level Input" all about on the back of a lot of subwoofers where you plug in regular speaker wire? What is the purpose of that? Thanks!

Backwards compatibility with older equipment.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oh yeah. I do not want to spend over $300. I was looking at Polk subwoofers because I already have other Polk speakers. I can get a Polk PSW10 for $119 or a Polk PSW505 for $249. Is the 505 THAT much better than the 10 that its worth double the money??? I am new with subwoofers so any suggestions would be appreciated!

·
Registered
653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstephens78 /forum/post/18223192

oh yeah. I do not want to spend over $300. I was looking at Polk subwoofers because I already have other Polk speakers. I can get a Polk PSW10 for $119 or a Polk PSW505 for $249. Is the 505 THAT much better than the 10 that its worth double the money??? I am new with subwoofers so any suggestions would be appreciated!

What are you looking for in a sub? Neither one of those subs will give you loud deep bass in that volume you're trying to fill. If, however, you're just looking to extend your frequency response deeper than what you have now at moderate volumes, then the 505 might work for you. Just remember, that's a lot of space to fill. Either of those models will be available at most B&M stores (like Best Buy) ... so you'll be in good shape to return them if they don't fit the bill.

For a few bucks more, say $350 (shipped), there are some Internet Direct subs such as A2-300 from Elemental Designs that would probably blow away those Polk subs.

·
Registered
872 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the input. I can get a BIC V1020 for $165, a Premier Acoustic PA-10W for $199, and a Premier Acoustic PA-120W for $229. and then for a little more either a BIC PL-200 or BIC VK-12 for $329 each. any opinions on those subs? I only want to spend the money if the increase in performance is worth it.

·
Registered
135 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornhulio /forum/post/18223440

The PSW subs don't get good feedback on here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post17715439

The better subs in your price range are Bic, HSU, eD, PA, Epik.

Everyone of the subs in those links is either the psw10 or110; I just want to point out that the psw505 is on a whole other level than those and would smack them around.

I've owned the psw10, psw505, eD a2-300, and now an MFW-15 and the polk 505 holds its own for the amount of money its available for nowadays.

The psw10 is basically a glorified HTIB subwoofer for the masses and shouldn't be run in a room bigger than a bathroom.

The psw505 compared the A2-300 was it had more volume in the ~30-80 hz but the A2-300 was able to go lower easier. Also the psw505 is a lot easier on the eyes and seems like its half the size.

I'd still like to hear one of the bic-h100 or PA-120's though just to see where they fit in.

·
Registered
135 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstephens78 /forum/post/18223540

thanks for the input. I can get a BIC V1020 for $165, a Premier Acoustic PA-10W for $199, and a Premier Acoustic PA-120W for $229. and then for a little more either a BIC PL-200 or BIC VK-12 for $329 each. any opinions on those subs? I only want to spend the money if the increase in performance is worth it.

Well your room in a word is HUGE, at least as far as a subwoofer is concerned. I'd say instead of spending about a $100 more on probably a marginally better sub like the pl-200 over the pa120; get two pa120 or psw505.

You could always just grab one see how you like it and then add another down the road. Also with two it allows you to move them around for the best sound throughout the room instead of just one spot.

For you to just have one sub in that room and fill it out it would have to be a beast of a sub.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts