AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been fortunate enough to have the X-CS and X-MTMs powered by a Yamaha 661 for almost a year now. I intially decided to hold out on adding a sub and the rear surround speakers becuase of space (I was in an apartment) and budget. But now I am moving into a house and I am ready to complete my system...

The living room is a little odd so I will do my best to describe it and I have a visual aid... The picture pretty much shows the lay out of the room and the dimensions but a couple footnotes... First, the ceiling starts at the wall with the TV on it at 8 ft and angles up to 12ft. Second, the living room and dinning room have carpet and the walk way is tile. Third, the fireplace has a little tile in front of it. I guess let me know if you have any other questions about the room...

I have started doing my homework with reading forums and reviews so I think I have a starting place... My budget is a firm $500 but I would really like to come in close to $300. I am not a bass hog and in the apartment the X-MTMs produced a good amount of bass but I would like to give them some help in the new room. I do not like boomy bass; I want a subtle, very tight, musical sub. Some of the subs I am looking at...

X-Sub - If I could get by with one; it would be great on the budget. But I could run two of them...

Velodyne VX-10 - Good price but will it fill the room and sacrifice quality?

HSU STF-2 - Hear good things especially about them being musical, which I like.

HSU STF-1

HSU VTF-1

SVS PB10-NSD - I hear good things about the brand. Will be top of budget.

SVS 25-31PCi - Over the budget but if it is worth it... Maybe.

SVS 20-39 PCi - Over the budget but if it is worth it... Maybe.

Dayton Subs ... Not sure which one... Great on budget; how is the quality?

I also need suggestions as far as set-up, placement, and calibration. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,971 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockemags /forum/post/14193712

I have been fortunate enough to have the X-CS and X-MTMs powered by a Yamaha 661 for almost a year now. I intially decided to hold out on adding a sub and the rear surround speakers becuase of space (I was in an apartment) and budget. But now I am moving into a house and I am ready to complete my system...

The living room is a little odd so I will do my best to describe it and I have a visual aid... The picture pretty much shows the lay out of the room and the dimensions but a couple footnotes... First, the ceiling starts at the wall with the TV on it at 8 ft and angles up to 12ft. Second, the living room and dinning room have carpet and the walk way is tile. Third, the fireplace has a little tile in front of it. I guess let me know if you have any other questions about the room...

I have started doing my homework with reading forums and reviews so I think I have a starting place... My budget is a firm $500 but I would really like to come in close to $300. I am not a bass hog and in the apartment the X-MTMs produced a good amount of bass but I would like to give them some help in the new room. I do not like boomy bass; I want a subtle, very tight, musical sub. Some of the subs I am looking at...

X-Sub - If I could get by with one; it would be great on the budget. But I could run two of them...

Velodyne VX-10 - Good price but will it fill the room and sacrifice quality?

HSU STF-2 - Hear good things especially about them being musical, which I like.

HSU STF-1

HSU VTF-1

SVS PB10-NSD - I hear good things about the brand. Will be top of budget.

SVS 25-31PCi - Over the budget but if it is worth it... Maybe.

SVS 20-39 PCi - Over the budget but if it is worth it... Maybe.

Dayton Subs ... Not sure which one... Great on budget; how is the quality?

I also need suggestions as far as set-up, placement, and calibration. Thanks!

how about the eD A2-300 for $315 shipped? probably the best sub for the money

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks to everyone... If this helps I will use it about 50/50 for music and movies...

Naturally over on the AV123 board; I have been getting a lot of X-Sub suggestions... At that price should I jump on it?

·
Registered
343 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
The Scamp-10 is the subwoofer equivalent of a unicorn or a yeti. Many people believe in it, and those who have seen it are few and far between. X-sub is nice for a smaller space (apartment), but I would go bigger for a house. Pick up a Hsu STF-2 and enjoy now. My parents have one and it is great! Hsu is very nice for music too! Also, pick up a Auralex Gramma for under the STF-2 to eek out the last bit of performance.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Dermott, I'm not advocating the Scamp-10, and I'm not a Craigsub fanboy, I'm just throwing out options. Didn't mean to come across that way. The Hsus are nice subs and probably the best out of his original list but I think the eD offers a better value, if you can live with the finish.

Again, I'd strongly recommmend against the X-sub for HT. It's just simply not big enough and doesn't extend deep enough.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The ED is getting a lot of suggestions outside of the AV123 forum (naturally...).. It seems like a lot of sub for little money but I really worry about the accuracy/tightness. Everyone suggests it says stories about having to turning it down and it shaking walls. And that is just not what I am looking for... Is this a legitimate worry on my part?

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
Thanks to everyone... If this helps I will use it about 50/50 for music and movies...

which one do you value more though?

Its hard to find a sub that does both very well unless you spend more money.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts
For that budget, I would get the A2-300 now and enjoy all the movies. Music will be okay but when the scamp-10 comes out by that for the music because its design I think will lend it to be a better musical sub.

Definitely get the A2-300 right now,its your best bang for the $$$ and you may even like it for music. You will love it for movies.

·
Registered
343 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray /forum/post/14200590

For that budget, I would get the A2-300 now and enjoy all the movies. Music will be okay but when the scamp-10 comes out by that for the music because its design I think will lend it to be a better musical sub.

Definitely get the A2-300 right now,its your best bang for the $$$ and you may even like it for music. You will love it for movies.

For $550 he could buy a Valor

1 - 10 of 10 Posts