AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi: new to the forums and am excited to see what will come of it!

Got a question to some people who have heard much more than I have - I am looking into purchasing a sub for my stereo system (currently 2 B&W 601 s3 w/ rotel rsx 965). I have looked at the asw600 from B&W since its not too bad in price but i'm still looking. Not really sure of its value --- at any case, what kind of subs in the $500 range would you recommend to use with these speakers just to give a little bit more "umph" to tympany or you know.. fill in where these speakers don't really cut.

My main use is audio, but I also watch movies.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
How big is your room (LxWxH)?

Lots of good subs for $500-600. Hsu VTF-2 mk II, Rocket ULW-10, SVS 25-31PCi, Velodyne DLS-3750 or 4000, just to name a few that are often recommended here.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My room isn't too large. Its a dorm room, but will be an apartment eventually (small nevertheless - the reality of the city). So dimension wise, it will be 12-14 feet high (right now a little bit higher at 16 but will change eventually to this shorter figure), and about 10x14 otherwise.

I have heard the HSU, and velodyne subs named quite a bit, but it is hard to believe that one can get a sub for so little, and have it be soo good. I mean I'm not one that buys into the notion that the more you spend the better it is, but I was expecting a minimum amount for general goodness and musicality.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Search for the reviews with both measurement & listening tests:
http://search.ecoustics.com/Editoria...lpha-Name/All/

The internet direct guys offer better product for less money. Subs are a different animal from main speaker design. The nuances of crossover design & multiple size driver matching are not at play. Check out the massive drivers used by SVS & Hsu - they put anything under $2000 at an audiophile shop to shame. What do you lose? Well, the lower cost internet direct subs typically have very simple enclosures - you usually aren't going to find hand-rubbed wood finishes for $500. Personally, I would rather have the better driver, amp & port design.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have come down to the stf 2, and the vtf 2.2 Which would you choose. What characteristics of the vtf model make it worth that much more. (not significant amount, but it is 25% more than the stf!) Thanks for your input ahead of time

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
If you can afford the VTF over the STF, I would do it. Although I don't think the small increase in amp power is significant, the ability to choose a lower tune point or max output is nice, and I like the looks of the VTF better. In addition, Hsu has said that the VTF series will be upgradeable with a "turbo" attachment that they are working on. The STF will not be upgradeable. On the other hand, if you want to save a bit of money, and those differences aren't important, the STF-2 is a darn fine sub.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think i am missing the significance of lowering the tuning port, or max output. Isn't the max output set by the peak amp output?. I am looking at the VTF, but I need to justify to myself (no wifey figure yet !!!!! == $$$ on sound :) ) the differences in cost will be noticible in the experience of using such a sub over the stf counter part. Also, should I even consider the B&W asw 600 at this point, or is it supurbly outclassed by the hsu?

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
The VTF has two tuning modes: "Max Extension" & "Max Output". You change modes by plugging a port and changing a switch on the amp. In Max Extension, the VTF-2 is tuned to go down to 25 Hz before falling off. In Max Output mode, it goes down to 32 Hz - but the max SPL is a bit higher. The STF is fixed at a 25 Hz tune, so it is essentially equivalent to the VTF in Max Extension mode. This review is on the original VTF-2, not the Mk II, but it shows the difference in the modes:
http://www.hsuresearch.com/vtf2_soundvision.pdf

One option is to order the Hsu and get a local dealer to let you try the B&W. Take back whichever you don't like. All you would be out in the worst case is the shipping on the VTF, but then you wouldn't be bugged with the killer "What if..." thoughts - except for the "What if I had a VTF-3..." :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.