Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a plasma tv last week.

This inspired me to upgrade my receiver - I got a Sony 4ES (for a really good price). Upgraded from a $250 receiver - another Sony. At some point I'll strap a real amp on and upgrade the speakers also.

I have 5 Tannoy Mercury speakers (MX2s plus the centre) for the 5 surrounds, and I had a cheap KLH Sub, which was barely acceptable before I moved.

I survived the move, it didn't.

Now I need a new sub. I'm also thinking about extra surround speakers.

I was thinking of something along the lines of the Polk 450 for the sub, based mainly on price, rather than having heard it (I know, I know, but I work all week...).

Does anyone have comments or alternative suggestions?

Also what about extra surrounds (the 7.1 stuff).

I have a spare B&W CC6 in the basement. Tonally it isn't a great match for the Mercurys, but it would give me 6.1 for the cost of 30' of cable.

Options:

1. Live with the CC6 until I pay for the plasma then get better Tannoys for the front 2 and use these as the surrounds.

2. Buy another set of MXs for the surrounds

3. Use a different set of (non-matching) bookshelf speakers (I think they are ARs) that I have in a box.

I like the sound of the Tannoy speakers. I listen to music and ht. They aren't too expensive and I'm loathe to drop 2k+ on an entirely new setup.

New houses are expensive enough...

Anyone have suggestions as to the best of the 3 options.

fyi: the room is 30*18. It is a combined l/r and d/r. the surround setup is along the 18' wall at one end. not ideal. surround speakers are on stands either side of the main sofa. extra surrounds would probably have to be wall mounted (space issue) or in-wall. I can put the CC6 behind the sofa on a table temporarily, but this is by no means an ideal solution.

·
Registered
404 Posts
forget the polk sub-look at adire, vmps(my choice) hsu, svs-or a diy sub from madisound , parts express,adire, vmps.

buy a kit with cabinet and take a hour or so to screw one together, can get a nice sub for cheap this way.

also i would just use the speakers you have in a box for now , get the ones you want later on , spend the money on a good sub instead.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I agree you can do a lot better than the 450 for the money.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.