AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a JBL SUB160 self powered subwoofer that is squealing or whistling, even when the receiver is muted, or the cable is disconnected. I've had to turn it off in order to get it to stop. It will also ocassionally send out a loud thump like extreme thunder. I am using the LFE input. It comes and goes. Not sure if it's the Onboard amp or the speaker Unit is 4 years old

ANy suggestions would be appreciated.

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!

THANKS to NorCalJason for the Solution.

Originally Posted by NorCalJason

Have you tried a different outlet?

I plugged the JBL SUB160 subwoofer into an outlet on a different circuit and the noise went away.

Thanks for the suggestion. I would have never thought of it.

Life is good again!

Thanks,

Jeff

·
Registered
579 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrick59 /forum/post/15470201

I have a JBL SUB160 self powered subwoofer that is squealing or whistling, even when the receiver is muted, or the cable is disconnected. I've had to turn it off in order to get it to stop. It will also ocassionally send out a loud thump like extreme thunder. I am using the LFE input. It comes and goes. Not sure if it's the Onboard amp or the speaker Unit is 4 years old

ANy suggestions would be appreciated.

That sounds like a defective amp.

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
Do you have a farmer that lives next door calling his hogs. Maybe the hog ran into the side of the metal pole barn...just a thought. Couldn't resist

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
Don't find the manual, but if it has low level (line level) inputs, try one of them. It will at least tell if the LFE input is good or bad. Other than that, bad amp.

·
Banned
5,125 Posts
I’m not buying this, sounds like load of hocus-pocus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by browninggold /forum/post/15470678

Do you have a farmer that lives next door calling his hogs. Maybe the hog ran into the side of the metal pole barn...just a thought. Couldn't resist
Any pig-squealing city boys in the house?

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
He looks famaliar

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalJason /forum/post/15470650

That sounds like a defective amp.

I plugged the JBL SUB160 subwoofer into an outlet on a different circuit and the noise went away.

Thanks for the suggestion. I would have never thought of it.

Life is good again!

Thanks,

Jeff

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
It's always good to have a simple solution...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts