AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an Onkyo reciever and it works great I had it about 5 years. I have noticed in the last few months when it changes from like dolbydigital to prologic or another input there is a loud thump made by the subwoofer. It has not always done this. Can some please tell me the problem. Is it just time for a new cable or should I take it off auto detect and just program it to digital. I don't whats going on but at night when the wife is asleep it thumps load enough to wake her. Not good for me

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Have someone check the sub power light(s) to see if the sub shutting down (standbye, whatever) at these times. If it is, sounds like it's detecting a loss of signal too quickly. I assume there's some sort of delay before it shuts down.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Try turning the subwoofer's amp down and rase the subwoofer output at the receiver.

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
You have to do some sub'n in and out to go any further.

Could be the AVR / Processor, or the cable interconnects (unlikely), or the sub itself.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am taking this back to the top as I have yet to find a solution. I turned off the auto on on the sub and that did not work either any other suggestions

·
Registered
185 Posts
My inlaws have the same problem with their Onkyo receiver. They are using my old sub (Velodyne) that worked fine with my old Denon receiver. We could not figure it out and they just live with it. It drives me nuts everytime I am there and we watch a movie. Is it possibly a power issue?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the same problem with my Onkyo receiver (also about 5 yrs old). I have an Axiom EP-500 sub that thumps everytime the receiver auto detects a new surround mode (changing channels on STB, layer changes on DVD's, menu changes on a DVD, etc.).

The problem is with the muting circuitry in the receiver. This is not a cable or sub problem - I've tried several cables and still get the thump. I've learned to live with it (turn sub gain down for TV and I listen to two channel music in direct mode so no sub). I haven't heard of anyone having this issue with any of the newer receivers so consider a replacement - that's what I'm doing.

·
Registered
185 Posts
We were thinking the same thing....time for a replacement

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have an Onkyo 875 I purchased new last year with a Klipsch Synergy Sub 12 and it has done this since day one. I have yet to find a solution. I have also heard it is a problem with the Onkyo receivers muting circuitry, but I can't believe I'm the only one with the problem. I'm going to call a Onkyo service center and see what they say.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts