AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering whether I should secure my SVS 16-46 Sub securely to the floor, or is it better to uncouple from the house members by floating a piece of plywood on a small inner-tube (or some other decoupling method)?

What would be the effect upon the bass in each scenario? In the first, I envision the sub rattling the house. In the second, I imagine the subwoofer assembly moving as much as the driver itself, giving me too little Bass. Help.

·
Registered
22,160 Posts
Try both and use the method that sounds best to you.

The floating method has better odds surviving an earthquake.;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ratman

The floating method has better odds surviving an earthquake.;)
You mean external earthquake, right ?

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Diver
I'm wondering whether I should secure my SVS 16-46 Sub securely to the floor, or is it better to uncouple from the house members by floating a piece of plywood on a small inner-tube (or some other decoupling method)?

What would be the effect upon the bass in each scenario? In the first, I envision the sub rattling the house. In the second, I imagine the subwoofer assembly moving as much as the driver itself, giving me too little Bass. Help.
With respect to generation of bass, all that matters is the relative motion between cone and enclosure, so your second method does no harm. If you have wood floors, the tighter the coupling of the subwoofer enclosure the floor the more likely the floor is to resonate sympathetically and act as a (rather nonlinear) secondary radiator. So unless you just like to feel the floor shake, I would vote for decoupling.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I have a piece of 3/4" MDF under each of my subs. That stopped my riser from acting as a resonant cavity. Flattened my freq. response to boot. Cheap and easy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.