AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My system includes two large Yamaha NS-777 towers with dual 8" woofers. The specs say they can play down to 30hz. I use an Onkyo 807 receiver and have the crossover set for 40hz for the front mains. I do like to listen to a lot of music and these towers never fail at providing sufficient bass. I had a older Velodyne CT-100 150 watt ported sub that didn't gain me much bass and I believe it couldn't keep up so I sold it.

I've read that for large towers like mine to use the sub low pass crossover for 40hz and use the towers from 40-20,000khz. How important is having a musical sub if my towers are doing their job at 40+Hz?

Subs on my radar:

Emotiva Ultra 10 $289

Bic PL-200 $270

Lava LSP-12 $287

Emotiva Ultra 12 $360 (Potential Sale Price)

HSU STF-2 $360

IMPORTANT?: I do plan to add a second matching sub in about a years time.

I split my listening time around 30% Music, 30% Games, 30% Blu-ray or HD cable Concerts or Movies.

Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
I wish I could offer suggestions but I am in the same boat as well. I looking to buy a Christmas present so I've been using AVS forums a TON to do research.

I came up with the same list as you except I had the eD a2-300 sub in there since I lean more towards movies than music. As I read from the fine folks here that HSU leans more towards music if you compare it against the eD.

My problem is I know someone selling a used HSU VTF-2 for $175. Mind you I think it is when they first came out. So I dunno if its worth investing the money to get a 8 year old sub or get a new sub (with a warranty).

What I can tell you is that I'm realllllly leaning toward the Lava LSP12. From the fact that a company needs to start somewhere and from what I read on the owners thread here, it seems they are selling a great budget sub for a good price.

One last thought, after doing all this research I think what it really comes down to is with the list you are looking at...can you REALLY go wrong?? I'm sure whatever you get, you will be pleased.

Good luck and let us know what you decided on!

·
Registered
2,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroCarFan /forum/post/19506727

My system includes two large Yamaha NS-777 towers with dual 8" woofers. The specs say they can play down to 30hz. I use an Onkyo 807 receiver and have the crossover set for 40hz for the front mains. I do like to listen to a lot of music and these towers never fail at providing sufficient bass. I had a older Velodyne CT-100 150 watt ported sub that didn't gain me much bass and I believe it couldn't keep up so I sold it.

I've read that for large towers like mine to use the sub low pass crossover for 40hz and use the towers from 40-20,000khz. How important is having a musical sub if my towers are doing their job at 40+Hz?

Subs on my radar:

Emotiva Ultra 10 $289

Bic PL-200 $270

Lava LSP-12 $287

Emotiva Ultra 12 $360 (Potential Sale Price)

HSU STF-2 $360

IMPORTANT?: I do plan to add a second matching sub in about a years time.

I split my listening time around 30% Music, 30% Games, 30% Blu-ray or HD cable Concerts or Movies.

Thanks

Don't take any of this the wrong way. Your towers specs read down to 30hz but that is not likely. Even if they do reach down to 30hz they wont do it with much authority. A dedicated sub will play down in the 30hz area and lower much better. Speakers like yours should usually have the cross over set for about 80hz as a starting point. You may want to try lowering it or raising it slightly to see what sounds better. I wouldn't recommend any lower than a 70hz cross over for the mains you have. Everything below that will be played by the sub, which will do a much better job. Your speakers really are not that big. You need really big mains in order to set the cross over lower, or let them play full range. You will usually need a lot of power on reserve to do this. Usually dedicated amplification because you wont have anything left for the rest of your speakers in a 5.1 or 7.1 configuration. And this is still against what most are doing lately. I am one of those people who uses very large mains with dedicated amps. My mains are twice as big as your Yamahas. It's more difficult to get it right and costs more money. Using an 80hz cross over for your mains will also help them to have more punch and clarity. Cross overs in modern receivers are really a benefit to helping people get the most out of what they have. You just need to learn how to set them properly to get the most out of your particular set up.

The part about certain subs being more musical than others is really a myth. They all can play music just fine. Some subs just may suit your music tastes better than others. This also has a lot to do with set up and sub calibration. You really didn't gain anything with the Velodyne because it's a little lacking in performance. Most of the subs you mentioned would be good candidates and will benefit your set up. I agree with you on going with 2 subs at some point. Having a good sub or subs is very important. It's important for music but is especially important for movies.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm just have a hard time deciding if I'd be happy with a ported sub for the amount of music I like to listen to. Its been agonizing. I've been researching for about 3 months on what would be best for my system.

I keep thinking the Emotiva Ultra 12 would best suit my taste, but without hearing it I won't know. I don't want to drop $300+ and not be satisfied, which I doubt I would be considering anything will be a upgrade at this point. I won't consider the Emotiva unless it drops into the upper $300 range this holiday season. I believe $599 regular $499 sale for that sub is a joke. I think the Emotiva 10 should be in the $275 range and the 12 in the $375 range.

I do like the Bic PL-200 for its Piano finish, which would match my Yamaha 5-channel set.

Decisions, Decisions, Decisions!

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
I don't think you are going to see the Emotiva prices drop any further. The current sale prices are good until the end of the year as far as I have been told. Im not sure why you think 100$ off the Emotiva Ultra Sub 12 is a joke. Where you expecting to see a 50% off sale? Im all for saving money. I have saved a substantial amount of money catching the Emotiva sales since late summer and the fall/winter holiday sales. You are still going to have to pay to play. They are not just going to give it away.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroCarFan
I do like the Bic PL-200 for its Piano finish, which would match my Yamaha 5-channel set.

Decisions, Decisions, Decisions!
i have the BIC PL-200. Sounds great. Thought about adding a second one to balance things out in the room but I think I should be getting into acoustic treatment at the same time. With so much talk about SVS and HSU, I feel like, "Should I pick up another BIC PL-200 or invest in one of those more expensive subs".

1 - 8 of 8 Posts