AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I originally posed my question of the Energy Take Classic II's, Energy Take Classic 5.0 and Polk Audio TL-250's over in the speaker forum. After thinking about it, going to a "smaller" satellite makes no sense from my current RM6750's which have served me well for close to 5-years.

I recently purchased a Denon AVR-1713 and it's made these speakers shine, however, I know I could better as technology has improved over the past few years. That said, I purchased the Polk Audio TL-250's because I could get them for $237 + eco fee + sales tax (so just under $270 all-in, shipped). This was after I forced one big box store to match another one's "sale price" which discounted the 13% tax. They did it after a small fight.

I live in a small-ish condo and my living room area is about 10 x 19 (which includes a small dining room table -- welcome to big city living). For this reason, I run satellites; even when I was in a townhome, I still ran satellites because they were plenty loud enough and did what they needed to do. I've never liked earth shattering loudness or deep rumbling bass (in fact, I usually dial back the subwoofer a bit after calibrating).

Anyhow, with the new speakers arriving, this leads me to a few choices:

1/ Keep the subwoofer from the RM6750

Even though this is an option, I'm not really interested in doing this. I've always found the subwoofer included with the Polk RM6750 to be underpowered -- what can you expect from an 8" sub.

2/ Purchase the Precision Acoustics HD S10 here in Canada for $169.99 + tax = ~$190 all-in

This is a strong possibility. I know some people on these boards think it's not a bad choice for the price. I know it's been as low as $129.99 + tax so I'm debating going into the store and seeing if I can get them down at least $20, if not $30 before tax. I know it's on "sale" for $130 off but speakers in Canada are known to be a rip-off.

3/ Purchase the BIC V1020 from the States and get it to Canada

I know this is $149.99 right now at a big box store in the U.S. right now but it's *not* regular store stock to pickup, however, it does have free shipping. So, I'd have to see if they'd be willing to ship it to a freight forwarder that I have access to but they might not be willing to -- so I'd have to find another route.

I'm interested in hearing what you guys think about these options. I know these two 10" subs are better choices than the "bundled" sub that I currently have or would have had bundled with the TL2600 (TL250 + sub) package or the Energy Take Classic II 's. I know the TL250 was the right choice -- especially at the price paid and for the size of room I have -- now I just have to figure out a good sub option. I should add that I want to keep the sub under $200 if I can but these two subs seem to fit my needs the best.

Thanks for any help that can be offered.

Cheers!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Matt34, for the feedback on the Dayton Sub. I know that many people around here also speak highly of Dayton's products, however, a 12" sub (let alone two of them) will not fit in my condo so this was why I was specifically looking at the PA HD S10 (easily available in Canada) and the BIC V1020 (not so easily available here).

·
Registered
642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianf74  /t/1435038/subwoofer-to-go-with-pol...n-acoustics-hd-s10-bic-v1020-or#post_22519150

Thanks, Matt34, for the feedback on the Dayton Sub. I know that many people around here also speak highly of Dayton's products, however, a 12" sub (let alone two of them) will not fit in my condo so this was why I was specifically looking at the PA HD S10 (easily available in Canada) and the BIC V1020 (not so easily available here).

I know nothing of the PA sub you mentioned so I don't know how it will compare but Dayton also has a 10" and 8" model that would be similar in size to the PA sub.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Again, Dayton (along with BIC) are very hard to come by up here in Canada. If I went the BIC route, I'd have to drop just over $300 if I bought it here (which makes little-to-no sense when I can get it Stateside for US$160 or so with shipping). The P.A. subwoofer gets good reviews all over the place (reviews on the Canadian blue and yellow big box store are very favourable). I know the sub has been as low as $100 new in the past but has been sitting around the $170-$200 mark for the last few months. I was able to find a company who's selling new, sealed in box PA HD S10's for $100 which is a touch more expensive than I've seen then going for on local buy and sell boards but at least it's new and they guarantee it not to be DOA for 30 days (which, if it's gonna die, will usually be right out of the gate).

That said, the $100 price tag on a subwoofer that seems to be a good bang for the buck (and really the only budget subwoofer I can easily attain) makes it the smartest choice. I've sold my old RM6750's and the paltry 8" sub it came with (which was always underpowered and sounded "boomy" at best) so all I've got now are the Polk Black Stone TL250's and no sub. I could possibly get away with "no sub" as I'm in a condo but I know it'd be nice to have "well rounded" sound.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts