AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Current room is 19x14x9ft. Current speaker system is Klipsch Cornwall front LR, Heresy front C and rear LCR with about 200+ wpc, using separate amps. Run all speakers on full range. Current subs are two Sunfire Signature subs (not EQ version) xover at about 45hz. Looking to upgrade and would like advice. Important attributes would be; quick response to keep up with Klipsch speakers, lower extension than the Sunfire's provide, low distortion, high db's (obviously like it LOUD and clear). The ED A7-900 and maybe (have to measure) the Epik Conquest are out because of size. Sorry so long but wanted to provide as much info as possible. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks for your time. RaceRPM

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Epik Tower I think would be a good choice. My plan is to go with two of whatever the choice ends up being. Not sure how they would match the Klipsch on speed and dynamics, though. Thanks for the response. RaceRPM

·
Registered
343 Posts
 AV123 MFW-15 (or two of them stacked) is another comparable option. Its dimensions are 23.94" x 22.44" x 18.125". I'd go for 2x MFW-15 if you have the space or otherwise the Epik.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Not all subs are fast...The ones being recommended need to be fast so they can keep up with the OP, didn't you see his nick, it is RaceRPM???

There are subs that cannot keep up with the pace of music, some are made to push alot of air mainly for HT, and have a travel (back and forth motion) that is more than other subs. So, by the time they finished reproducing a bass note, and are ready to reproduce another your speakers might already be in another part of the musical piece. Sometimes is just milliseconds, or hundreds of a second, but your ear tells you there is something wrong that the bass instruments are not keeping tempo with the other instruments. It is a basic explanation. A faster sub can play those bass notes, one after the other, at the correct time. This is more important for music.

There are contributing factors like travel, cabinet design, amp, driver, crossover, etc.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks PR Audio!! I made a sorry attempt to use one word to describe something, I should have elaborated more. I am looking for a subwoofer (pair) that has fast "Transient Response", or a fast and precise attack and decay with little overhang. Klipsch speakers are known for high efficiency and significant dynamic capabilities. I am looking for the best subwoofer match with my current main speaker setup. Thanks for all of the advice.

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
SVS Ultra13,Epik Tower as was pointed are great choices. Almost no brainers.

Dual HSU VTF3 HO would be fine too. Dual HO's who can argue.

Well designed ported = high output down deep + great SQ (so called speed and lack of boom).

A well chosen/matched driver in the proper vented box can match the sound quality of a well designed sealed. One thing a sealed will always have to fight is greater compression (very small box designs).

In this regard vented surpasses closed.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceRPM /forum/post/12912854

Thanks PR Audio!! I made a sorry attempt to use one word to describe something, I should have elaborated more. I am looking for a subwoofer (pair) that has fast "Transient Response", or a fast and precise attack and decay with little overhang. Klipsch speakers are known for high efficiency and significant dynamic capabilities. I am looking for the best subwoofer match with my current main speaker setup. Thanks for all of the advice.

Much better...As I recommended, and Ear second, check SVS PC-Ultra13.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEAR /forum/post/12913812

A well chosen/matched driver in the proper vented box can match the sound quality of a well designed sealed. One thing a sealed will always have to fight is greater compression (very small box designs).

In this regard vented surpasses closed.

What happens if someone makes a huge sealed box?

BTW between tower and svs, the tower should be a bit louder, a lot louder at subsonic range, and cheaper. The svs will be smaller, a bit more musical and will have a parametric EQ. And if the Conquest is not too big, then another option would be a7-450 for $1.3k shipped - which hasnt been tested or heard by many, yet.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts