AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could you make a decent speaker using a low inductance driver that is labeled as a subwoofer?

I was specifically talking about this driver. http://www.aurasound.com/public/pdf/NS10-794-4A.pdf

The graphs show quite respectable distortion and good response up to 3khz. Another plus is that a 500w amplifier could drive it to 110+dB at 20hz.

It seems you could get away with 2-way?

?

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not planning on building anything..

But the cabinet size would be around 2.5ft².

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm. Well.. Alright then!

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I have heard those PA speakers that sound horrible with a 15" driver and a tweeter. I was thinking you could do a lot better with something like this, but I guess physics will still be dominating the outcome. Maybe with a 3-way you could use a 10" (12?) Aura for below 200hz, then a smaller for 200hz-4khz (or something optimum), and then a tweeter to go to the top end?

It just seems like it would be fun (fun.) to have a speaker that's flat to 16hz (w/room gain 12") and can cover the full spectrum. ..And do it with a dynamic capability of 117dB (12" w/room gain and 1000w amp) to 16hz.

Then again, the optimal spot for a speaker is often not the best spot for low frequency output. So..kinda pointless in that aspect then. It would probably be pretty immune to being blown mechanically, though, at least on your typical 100w/channel receiver. It models to take over 200w before you can bottom it in single-digit frequencies.

And I just ramble on and on...

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
Aim for a driver to play no more than 3 octaves. The more octaves they play, the less max output you'll have.

Beeming can also be a good thing, though typically not in home audio.

Anyway, if you're wanting some high performance L/R's, check out the "3way tower with 15" woofers" thread.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good info

Another question - If you're trying to get strong deep-freq response from a small driver (which I am not), what are the downsides of using a resistor in series with the driver to alter the properties of driving the 'system' with a power source?

A 2-ohm 8-inch driver shows a ported f3 of 53hz with a pretty flat curve with SPL limited at 102dB for a particular amp. Lowering the tuning a bit, increasing the box size a little bit, and adding 2 ohms of resistance between the amp and driver allows an f3 of 14hz and SPL limited at 99dB. That is with an 11v amp.

What's the downside to this?

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
Wasted amp power. Half of the power will go to the VC, the other half goes to the resistor.

Ok, so what are your goals again? Low (subsonic) bass from a small 2way floor speaker. Not a good idea, because as you've mentioned "the optimal spot for a speaker is often not the best spot for low frequency output". I can't even think of an analogy, but the best I can come up with is trying to make a Civic a top fuel drag car. Aweful idea for many reasons.

But wait..."If you're trying to get strong deep-freq response from a small driver (which I am not)", "It just seems like it would be fun (fun.) to have a speaker that's flat to 16hz (w/room gain 12") and can cover the full spectrum. ..And do it with a dynamic capability of 117dB (12" w/room gain and 1000w amp) to 16hz." Ok I am confused. What are you trying to do? You don't have a specific concrete goal.

So,

1) Yes it would be fun to have a bad ass set of L/R's that could do 117db from 16-20khz without the risk of blowing.

2) Yes you could make a decent speaker with a "subwoofer". Just be prepared for a low senstivity.

3) No it's not optimal and would be pretty expensive.

4) yes it would be much better to build subwoofers (15 or 18") to go with your L/R's if you're wanting lots of deep output.

·
Registered
3,880 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arande2 /forum/post/14321580

Could you make a decent speaker using a low inductance driver that is labeled as a subwoofer?

I was specifically talking about this driver. http://www.aurasound.com/public/pdf/NS10-794-4A.pdf

The graphs show quite respectable distortion and good response up to 3khz. Another plus is that a 500w amplifier could drive it to 110+dB at 20hz.

It seems you could get away with 2-way?

?

You can make it work just like a Yugo can be made in to a muscle car,

but most likely you will lose the race

This is a high stroke, very low sensitivity woofer and any high cone excursion

will cause audible HF distortion. You are buying a high stroking woofer for a job

that shouldn't have high cone excursion, make sense? Build a 3 way system

with the Lambda 'recipe'

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
This is similar to a lot of the stuff John Janowitz is doing with his TD drivers, however, they aren't so much subwoofers as they are just exceptional quality woofers. He has a design using a pair of 15" drivers and BMS horn, I don't remember where the crossover is but I believe it is somewhat low. Even though his woofers are about the best out there for this type of application, he is still doing his HT designs with midranges in the mix. Solid bass authority is real nice, these types of designs work pretty good if you are using active amplification, a 3 way with one of his 15's covering the bottom end, a 6 or 8 for the mid and ribbon or horn covering the highs. It isn't really practical to do for two way though, three ways are greatly simplified by using an active crossover, you have a lot more flexibility and you won't have to worry about expensive componants just trying to filter out your amp power.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts