AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found out that the best settings for my subwoofer for the best and smoothest bass response is that i set the dial volume on the back of the sub to 9-10 o'clock and +4dB from the AVR. But some folks told me that the best setting is that i turn up the dial up volume from the back of the sub with 0dB trim setting until i get the same bass response as i got right now. So in short , 0dB from AVR and just mess with the dial volume on the back of the sub. But when i do this , my sub seems to rumble, dunno why.

Also some guys told me to set the level on the back of the sub at 12 o'clock point and than mess with avr sub trim setting from ''-3dB to 0dB''

What's the best setting to do ? Is it safe running my sub +4dB hot ?

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Each brand of subwoofer is different, however I will typically tell customers to start with the LFE out at the neutral 0dB out and adjust the subwoofer volume to your taste. However I have also told folks that there is an optimal range for the subwoofers volume where it produces the greatest clarity and maximum headroom for dynamic passages. In the case of our subwoofers this tends to be the 9-10 o'clock position or 20-40% of maximum. To keep the subwoofer in this range it is acceptable to adjust the LFE gain plus or minus 5dB of neutral, but I tend to discourage adjustment out of that range.

As with all thing audio your individual equipment, setup, and preferences will affect your results, there is never any one "right" answer and you should always do what sounds best to you.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Morse  /t/1469762/subwoofer-volume-knob-level-vs-avr-subwoofer-level#post_23240951

Each brand of subwoofer is different, however I will typically tell customers to start with the LFE out at the neutral 0dB out and adjust the subwoofer volume to your taste. However I have also told folks that there is an optimal range for the subwoofers volume where it produces the greatest clarity and maximum headroom for dynamic passages. In the case of our subwoofers this tends to be the 9-10 o'clock position or 20-40% of maximum. To keep the subwoofer in this range it is acceptable to adjust the LFE gain plus or minus 5dB of neutral, but I tend to discourage adjustment out of that range.

As with all thing audio your individual equipment, setup, and preferences will affect your results, there is never any one "right" answer and you should always do what sounds best to you.

Indeed. Witht he setting of 9-10 clock , im getting the best headroom and amazing clarity. I can hear low frequencys pretty loud and smooth from this amazing 8'' subwoofer. I didnt expect such results with this subwoofer (Jamo sub260). Should i keep those settings or turn the volume at 12 o'clock and adjust the avr trim from there?

·
Premium Member
13,408 Posts
Funny: You asked this same question a year ago in this one of your numerous "Should I do this? Should I do that? Should I do this?" threads.

The information provided in that thread - specifically, in posts #7 and 8 - is valid in this situation, too. And it will still be valid when you get your next sub, and the one after that, and the one after that...

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck  /t/1469762/subwoofer-volume-knob-level-vs-avr-subwoofer-level#post_23241004

Funny: You asked this same question a year ago in this one of your numerous "Should I do this? Should I do that? Should I do this?" threads.

The information provided in that thread - specifically, in posts #7 and 8 - is valid in this situation, too.

I still didnt settle with my subwoofer settings plus i want more opinions. Really, what's your problem ? I use these forums to learn and see what people suggest. If you dont like my threads , just dont read. Thanks

·
Registered
4,587 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazkyl  /t/1469762/subwoofer-volume-knob-level-vs-avr-subwoofer-level#post_23240973

Indeed. Witht he setting of 9-10 clock , im getting the best headroom and amazing clarity. I can hear low frequencys pretty loud and smooth from this amazing 8'' subwoofer. I didnt expect such results with this subwoofer (Jamo sub260). Should i keep those settings or turn the volume at 12 o'clock and adjust the avr trim from there?

If the sub sounds different with different gain settings, unless you are effectivly raising or lowering the final output level, something's wrong.

Not at all clear from your first post whether you calibrated the system. If you did, and did not then change it, you are not playing the sub 4 dB hot, it simply requires a +4 dB channel setting to properly match the mains. In other words, if the system autocalibrated with the sub at +4, that's "normal" or "flat" or "correct," not "hot." And if you change the setting on the back of the sub, that receiver channel level would change, too, when you recalibrate.

If you haven't calibrated but just went by ear, there's no reason to suspect you are running your sub at any specific degree of "hotness,' because whether it's hot depends on how it is calibrated versus the other speakers. MIght easily be 10 dB hotter than the mains with the same input signal level . ..

So AFAIK the answer is either it makes no difference or we don't have nearly enough info to begin to assess your question . . .

·
Premium Member
13,408 Posts

Quote:
Not at all clear from your first post whether you calibrated the system.
According to this previous thread of his: Done calibrating my subwoofer but I got last question.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazkyl 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar 

Are you using Audyssey calibration?

For the LFE trim, any value between -11 to +11 is fine.

If you got -12, please lower the sub volume. If you got +12, please increase the sub volume.
My AVR is an entry level receiver (onkyo tx sr308) so it does not have any audyssey. I calibrated all my speakers nearest 0dB possible and calibrated them with an spl meter so every speaker is the same. As for the sub , the smoothest and punchiest bass was at 9 o'clock from gain knob , and as from the avr , i think 0dB is the best to go with.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazkyl  /t/1469762/subwoofer-volume-knob-level-vs-avr-subwoofer-level#post_23240973

Experimentation will yield what sounds best to you. You should always go with what sounds best to you and not what someone else's belief of what is correct or not. Feel free to seek advise as a starting point, but at the end of the day it is your system and your the one who will be listening to it. All that matters is that you enjoy your sound system.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hey guys, seeking one last piece of advice or suggestion before I return this sub. Its a Yamaha NS SW1000, 1000 watt subwoofer. It has a light in the front and a standby option. When the sub receives no signal, the light goes red indicating its on standby mode. When the sub receives a signal, the light turns green.
The volume knob is set at 50% and the level on the pre-pro is at -6. During really strong explosions in movies (a few scenes in the movie immortal, a couple of scenes in Conjuring 2), the light starts blinking red and the sub cuts out. Then when I push the button next to the light, it turns green again and starts to work.
I don't think I am sending too much power to the sub. Any thoughts on why it may be cutting out? Does this happen with any other subs that you guys might have? Its annoying coz I have to get up and reset it everytime it cuts out, somet times 3 or 4 times during a movie. Despite this sub, being a good one, do you think I should return it because of this issue?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts