AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, As of right now I have a full system. However I have 2 major needs I need to upgrade my subwoofer "cheap sony right now" and I need to upgrade my receiver "cheap sony lol"

I have focal chorus 707 fronts, polk csi30 center and cheap emerson rears. Hey im just begging to upgrade be patient :) The focals and polk are great for mids and highs no complaints there but they lack at bass which the sony doesnt help much with.

So my question is this in my situation whats more important a sub or a receiver? I have been going back and forth on this for over a month so I would use some opinions.

Im debating a HSU STF-2 "SUB" or a Pioneer 1014TX "receiver"

Any help is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
27,423 Posts
Do the sub...There will be little audible difference swapping out receivers.

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
I am in the same situation. I am saving for both a sub and a receiver. Currently don't even have a sub and I have a cheap Pioneer 512 reciever. I have definatly prioritized the sub. The main reason is I figure that once all the speakers are assembled, they will last for years, but recievers are obsolete in about 2-3 years. So I figure once I have the speakers I can just swap out the receiver every now and then when I get the upgrade bug ... and hopefully I'll be happy with the speakers for a good long time

·
Registered
520 Posts
Ditto on the sub.....then I'd start working on the speakers. A receiver may lack some funtionality that arises, but after 2-3 years it wouldn't necessarily be obsolete. The best way to avoid and obsolete receiver, assuming that's the case, would be separate amp and processor/receiver. Amps last a loooooooong time and it doesn't appear that they'll be going out of style in the near future.

Mort

·
Registered
237 Posts
I would go with the sub. It is the biggest improvement for the $$.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Actually in your situation, Id upgrade my center channel to be matched with my left and right and THEN the sub.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I was in a similar situation - I needed a sub and wanted to go from 5.1 to 7.1 in my new theater . I did both - Got a EZTUBE kit from CSS and powered it of my old receiver (pioneer vsx-607) and got a new Yamaha 5760. All for relatively low price - $259 sub and an un-postable prize (Forum rules) for the reciever.

The Shiva driver is easy to drive from a receiver . I have since gotten a hand me down Ross 400 W amp to drive the sub, but I'm really only using it because I want to use the old receiver in the living room. The Pioneer did a great job driving the sub - 1 channel for each voice coil.

Mikael

·
Registered
392 Posts
Another vote for the sub, having a good sub really makes a HT IMO. As an STF-2 owner I can tell you that it is a very nice sub.

·
Banned
2,245 Posts
ALWAYS start with the receiver. That is the heart of your sound system and even a great speaker will not sound good with an inferior amp. A good speaker simply accurately reproduces the signal being sent to it, so a good speaker will still sound poor with a poor amp. Start with the amp, then the mains, then the sub or surrounds.

Good luck and welcome to the fourm.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Sorry, but you will notice a greater impact with the sub. The Pioneer 512 is an adequate receiver. You would notice minimal differences if you upgrade the receiver.

You could jump to a $1k receiver, and while you may have more features and notice some improvement, a $1k sub would provide dramatic imrovements.

I would make speakers the heart of the system. A receiver will be outdated in a couple of years while speakers can last a decade.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Let me back what the others have said. SUB.

You can even keep the cheapie Sony cranking as well and have two of them going. The receiver is a great thing to replace, but for now, the sub is the only way to go.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
BTW, one reason I say this is because going to the Consumer Electronic Show in the past and going to the HSU demo, Dr. Hsu has used a cheapie discman for playing the CD's and a cheapie amp to power his stuff and the impact of the sub is so great....

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Quote:
I have definatly prioritized the sub. The main reason is I figure that once all the speakers are assembled, they will last for years, but recievers are [obsolete] in about 2-3 years.
Now there's a smart man.

No comment on your spelling. :)

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by SVonhof
BTW, one reason I say this is because going to the Consumer Electronic Show in the past and going to the HSU demo, Dr. Hsu has used a cheapie discman for playing the CD's and a cheapie amp to power his stuff and the impact of the sub is so great....
Now thats interesting. I went and grabbed a Pioneer 1014 from Best Buy last night because I know I could return it without a problem. There was a very nice improvement actually created more bass, which means it has much better power and crossovers... but with everyone saying go for sub I may just go grab the STF-2 at comp usa assuming they feel like helping me this time

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
No doubt a better receiver will make a big improvement for you. It may be even more immediately noticeable but I still believe that davdev has the right idea. Your speakers are a long term investment, your electronics will come and go. In the end it may not matter to you which one you upgrade first but I would suggest priority be give to the long term purchases in both diligence and finance.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I agree with the sub also...nothing will make a more immediate impact on your viewing experience than a good sub. I've had friends that had front speakers that would go very low and didn't think they needed a sub. After hearing my Paradigm Servo-15, they changed their mind and were amazed once they connected a sub to their own system. Get the sub...you won't regret it! :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Billabongi,

Well if you can return the reciever and you can return the sub, then go pick up the sub and see which makes the biggest difference in your system. Then return the one that you don't want. Nothing is better then testing the equipment in your own home back to back.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I would love to but compusa has a 15% open box fee no matter what it is. Its kinda ludacris if you ask me but hey

·
Registered
237 Posts
Quote:
Nothing is better then testing the equipment in your own home back to back.
YUP! That is the truth!

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
-------------------------------------------------

No comment on your spelling.

-------------------------------------------------

Yup, can't spell for crap, and I tend to be too lazy to use spell check :(

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.