AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I currently am using these subs with a kicker 400 watt amp . I believe the subs are called the EN-PK212 and all spreadsheets I can find rate them at 800 watts. There are two inputs on the back (one per woofer) so I would like to know if it would be safe to use this 1200 watt amp. (basically are they 800watt all up or 800 per sub.) Thanks

(P.S. I have hardwired these into a pc power supply for home audio useage if it makes any difference)

Attachments

·
Registered
12,004 Posts
Almost any subwoofer can be blown up with any amp... if you try hard enough.
So I guess it depends on your definition of "safe" and how loud you like it.

The important thing isn't about how much power it can handle and how much power it has, but rather, knowing when you are stressing the components or not. That is the key, and that only comes with experience. It is something that can only be taught in-person or through trail and error.

The rule of thumb is:
If it sounds bad or unusual, turn it down. If it starts smelling or the amp/cone is getting warm, turn it down. If the cones are moving too far, turn it down and/or adjust the HP crossover (if you have one, if you need one buy one.). Or adjust the limiter (if you have one.)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts