AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi , i wanted to build a diy subwoofer , i have something like 400 dollars forr the only sub ( just the cone , you know, the thing that makes the music
) , but which one can i pick? i have no idea , btw i would like to have it big and very powerfull , i want that earthquakes in films to become real!!! but i need mostly for music. thx very much

·
Registered
502 Posts
Ok, so you already have an amplifier? How much power? How large can the enclosure be? There are a lot of 15s in the sub $400 range and there even the Sound Splinter RL-p18 18". A lot will depend on what size enclosure you can accept. If size is no object at that price then I'd be looking at the RL-p18.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Most of the amps that we recommend start at 300w. To match with a $400 driver, we would be looking in the 1,000w to 2,000w range (that's just an estimate).

If you want to look at designs, there are dozens (maybe hundreds) of completed subs here. Just take some time and read. Start with the sticky thread at the top of this section of the forum.

-Robert

·
Registered
502 Posts
40 W is not enough power for any of the ~$400 subwoofers that I'm familiar with. IMO, there's not much point in buying a driver like that if you're going to only give it 40 W. I guess it someone depends how much power you have for your mains... but unless you are using very little power, 40 W is probably not nearly enough power. For a $400 driver, like rlj5242 mentioned, I'd probably be looking for at least 800 W most likely, and preferably more.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oh, but you ment the amplifier of the sub itself? i'm sorry , i didn't understood , by the way i need to puchase even that , and iwas thinking of something like this if i really need power : http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=300-808

please if anybody knows a better deal for the amplifier say it to me . and then i will go for the RL-p18 . thx vry much

·
Registered
502 Posts
Well, it depends what you want. If you have to have the amplifier a part of the box then a plate amp is the way to go. You can get more power out of pro audio amplifiers for less money, though the amp typically can't be mounted in the enclosure, so you have to either put it on top or somewhere else... it depends what you want. I don't know too much about the Parts Express plate amps, but it has a good amount of power.

As far as pro audio amps, I'm talking something like this:

http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHEP2500

Which will give you 2400 W for less than the PE plate amp. Of course, real world it might be something more like 2000 W, but it's definitely more.

Even this will give you more power for less money:

http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHEP1500

You can also add a Behringer feedback destroyer (BFD) for EQ and probably come out for around the same money as the PE plate amp and have a more powerful and more flexible system. That's a really common setup for DIY subs. It just depends if you have to have a plate amp.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.