AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am little confused as to what my builder installed for subwoofer. I see a black wire , i believe it is coax cable wire coming out from the wall which is where i am suppose to put by sub. Big question is i am not exactly sure how to splice the wire and connect to a connector ( F connector ?). Looks like under the black casing there are wires then another casing and then there is copper. Can someone please advice me here?

·
Registered
4,229 Posts
U need one or two RCA plugs.

A coax cable has a center round solid wire this is +, surrounded by a weave, this is shield, also ground, this is -.

A stereo interconnect has 2 inner wires one for each channel, and one outer shield ground.

Still confused, post a closeup pic of the cable.

·
Registered
15,366 Posts
Big question is i am not exactly sure how to splice the wire and connect to a connector ( F connector ?).
The image is a little blurry but it appears to be RG6. Good stuff.

Although there are crimp on RCA connectors out there I don't find them to be all that common nor reliable. What I'd do if crimp on (or use a compression fitting) to attach an F-pin and from there convert to RCA with this sort of adapter:
https://www.amazon.com/VCE-2-Pack-Coaxial-Adapter-Connector/dp/B01N80QQ1F/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=F+Type+Female+to+RCA+Male+Coaxial+Cable+Audio+Adapter+Connector&qid=1594785674&sr=8-1

[It doesn't need to be gold plated but that's the first thing that popped up.]

Reactions: markmon1

·
Registered
507 Posts
How long is the cable coming out of the wall? If its length is ample, cut away more of the various layers to see if it just an RG6 (or RG59) cable; if it is, then do what m.zillch said. But, more important, what does your sub require? I would never let a builder do any AV wiring without consulting with me, at least, in advance. Been there, done that! (or actually, didn't do that).

·
Registered
20,822 Posts
How long is the cable coming out of the wall? If its length is ample, cut away more of the various layers to see if it just an RG6 (or RG59) cable;
RG59 will probably work just as well.
The cable should be labeled to denote RGx. Or at the least, have numbers that can be related to the manufacturer and found on the web.

I agree with contacting the "installer" and have it terminated properly.

If that doesn't work out. Get a cutter, stripper, crimper/compressor and an F connector and F to RCA adapter.
Should be

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
RG59 will probably work just as well.
The cable should be labeled to denote RGx. Or at the least, have numbers that can be related to the manufacturer and found on the web.

I agree with contacting the "installer" and have it terminated properly.

If that doesn't work out. Get a cutter, stripper, crimper/compressor and an F connector and F to RCA adapter.
Should be

Attachments

·
Registered
507 Posts
An RCA connector is push-on, a coaxial F-connector is screw on. If the back of the gold-plated device in that wall plate takes the F-connector, then that would be a good solution. The picture shows the back side as threaded, but with a fairly long unthread portion, so without further examination, I can't tell. Go to your local hardware or Big Box store and look carefully at the product.

Or, if you can find an RCA connector which will attach to the cable. It doesn't say whether it is RG59 or something else. However, RG6 and RG59 have an impedance of 75 ohms, which is what I think I see in your first picture. In your second picture, is that the cable in question with an RCA connector on it?

·
Registered
20,822 Posts
As suggested in posts 5 and 7. ;)

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
i) Buy coax cable cutter (like this one) and strip the wire down to copper.

ii) Connect the copper to back of this wall plate
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074T6Q11V/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

iii) From the other end of the wall plate use RCA cable connecting to the speaker ( attached pic).

Does this make sense?
You can’t connect the stripped wire to the female F connector on the back of the wall plate. You need an F-connector on the end of the cable, which will screw on to the one on the wall plate.

Rather than spend a hunk of change on a crimper that you’ll never use again, try a screw-on F connector. It’ll work fine for a “set it and forget it” situation like this. Like all F-connectors, there are different ones for RG-6 and RG-59 cable.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

1 - 13 of 13 Posts