AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph MAK /forum/post/0

I am using a M&K 350 subwoofer with a Behringer equalizer at the moment. I am considering to have an upgrade. Which subwoofers (less than $US2000) have built-in eqalization DSP?

JM

There are several implementations of "BUILT-IN" DSP. There are microphone based DSP with automatic functions and there are semi-automatic and manual DSP type options that control roll-off/slope, boost, etc.

I assume you are referring to the automatic equalization type. There are not many with that capability and fewer yet that actually make a "real" difference.

Two affordable lines that come to mind are the SPL-R and DLS-R series from Velodyne which have presets as well as microphone based equalization for the SPL-R series. There are also the Sunfire True/Signature subs, some with EQ functionality.

The latest offerings from JL Audio also have built-in mic based EQ. I believe it is a single band PEQ that works well based on owner feedback. The prices may be prohibitive though as both MSRPs are well over the $2k mark.

The best far and away built-in EQ setup resides in the DD series from Velodyne. However, very few of these fall into the under $2000 mark. Street prices are lower and used even better. You may be able to score a very capable DD-15 for around that figure.

There may be others that are not coming to mind, but that should get you started on your research. Of course, there are a couple of "outboard" solutions as well. Built-In equalizaiton is a relatively recent addition to the consumer sub market. Keep your eyes (and ears) open there will be more added to the list...

·
Registered
8,706 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson /forum/post/0

The EQ used in the DD series is available separately, as the SMS-1, for use with any other subwoofer.

And it ain't cheep.

Ian

·
Registered
30,819 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph MAK /forum/post/0

Thanks Kal & jpmst3. Just a quick question on the SMS-1: Can it display frequency response at a resolution higher than 1/3 octave. If yes, what is the highest resolution?

Nope. It has higher resolution filters, though.

·
Registered
4,972 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson /forum/post/0

That's one opinion. Here's another:

For what it does and for what it can do for a subwoofer w/o any EQ, I think it is more than reasonably priced.

Agreed. I thought it was overpriced until I got one. Now I have no doubt that it's worth every cent.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.