AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pair of Alesis M1Active 520s that I love (because they sound incredible). I want to add a sub.


I currently have them connected to an M-Audio DAI via quarter inch. The M-Audio only has 2 outputs so, its all full.


Source is my iMac.


I want to add a sub without having to replace the M-Audio.


Recording is not an issue here, just listening.


So, thought was to get a sub that had RCA in (most do) and go eighth inch to RCA direct from iMac to Sub and then find a sub that had either dual quarter inch or XLR out or RCA out and go from there to each monitor, left and right.


Finding that sub is proving to be a task.


Thoughts, advice etc. most welcome.


Cheers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,705 Posts
You can just use a splitter and run your computer audio signal to both the speakers and the sub.


What is your overall budget?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Split the signal from channel 1 out on the back of the m-audio to L and R and that will open up channel 2 for the sub... that will be fine - I just don't want the splitter to degrade the sound going to the monitors.


Budget? Heh. The least it takes to add a sub to my current setup. I could easily do this by replacing the maudio DAI with one that has 4 outputs but Id rather put that $150 towards the Subwoofer.


Advice on a specific quarter inch splitter?


Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iosion  /t/1524921/subwoofer-with-dual-rca-out#post_24547539


Budget? Heh. The least it takes to add a sub to my current setup. I could easily do this by replacing the maudio DAI with one that has 4 outputs but Id rather put that $150 towards the Subwoofer.

Quite a bit difference in sound quality going from a $100 to a $200 sub to a $500 sub. So do you want the cheapest possible thing you can get? Or do you have a budget for what you would like to spend to get the best sound quality from a sub?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
$200 is my top budget for adding as good a sub to my current setup as I can. The vast majority of sound hitting my ears is coming from the monitors... I just want something that is tight and can handle the lower freqs the Alesis mons can not.


Getting it all connected right is another issue.


Thanks for your reply and advice.


:)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,866 Posts
Very minimum I'd recommend is something like the BK Gemini II


You really don't want to "save some money" by getting something like a Yamaha fart box. Your system will sound better with it switched off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,705 Posts
Well, I don't think you are going to get a good sub with RCA inputs and outputs for $200. That feature tends to be on higher priced models.


And something that is "tight" for $200? Not sure that's possible either. I guess it depends on your expectations for good bass SQ.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom  /t/1524921/subwoofer-with-dual-rca-out#post_24547679


Very minimum I'd recommend is something like the BK Gemini II

You really don't want to "save some money" by getting something like a Yamaha fart box. Your system will sound better with it switched off.

LOL. So true
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,705 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,866 Posts
Thing is that RCA a straight bypass or high pass? The SVS SB Ultra allows you to disable high pass on the RCA out. Not sure why you'd route the the sub without using high pass, but it's there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom  /t/1524921/subwoofer-with-dual-rca-out#post_24547717

Thing is that RCA a straight bypass or high pass? The SVS SB Ultra allows you to disable high pass on the RCA out. Not sure why you'd route the the sub without using high pass, but it's there.

I don't know. I'll leave that for the OP to research



Although personally, I also like a high pass filter at 80hz. That's why I got the SVS SB-1000.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top