AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forgive my ignorance, but I was hoping someone might be able to provide me with helpful advice.

I have a plasma TV and a receiver in the living room with AT&T U-verse, a PS3, a DVD player and a Wii hooked up to hit and two "bookshelf" speakers for sound - the plasma TV is just a monitor. I am thinking about upgrading the receiver (Denon 591) and adding a center speaker. I would like to add a subwoofer, but here's the problem - due to the configuration of the room and my set up I can not put the subwoofer on the floor. I have my plasma TV mounted above the fireplace in the middle of the room with the components in the old "wood storage" area and the speakers above the television. Therefore, I can not run a wire for the subwoofer to the ground or through the walls to the corners of the room.

So, here's the question - is it even worth it to have a subwoofer if it is located above the television (i.e. 12-14 feet above the floor)?? I am assuming that subwoofers work best on the floor but I'm looking for some "expert advice" - thank you for your input.

·
Registered
718 Posts
If you have molding or baseboard you can hide the wire for the subwoofer behind it. Will take a bit of touchup paint, perhaps. Subs work best (for me anyway) in the corners.

Look in the do it yourself tweaks forum down below for the how-to

·
Registered
473 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimJebsen /forum/post/19627871

Forgive my ignorance, but I was hoping someone might be able to provide me with helpful advice.

I have a plasma TV and a receiver in the living room with AT&T U-verse, a PS3, a DVD player and a Wii hooked up to hit and two "bookshelf" speakers for sound - the plasma TV is just a monitor. I am thinking about upgrading the receiver (Denon 591) and adding a center speaker. I would like to add a subwoofer, but here's the problem - due to the configuration of the room and my set up I can not put the subwoofer on the floor. I have my plasma TV mounted above the fireplace in the middle of the room with the components in the old "wood storage" area and the speakers above the television. Therefore, I can not run a wire for the subwoofer to the ground or through the walls to the corners of the room.

So, here's the question - is it even worth it to have a subwoofer if it is located above the television (i.e. 12-14 feet above the floor)?? I am assuming that subwoofers work best on the floor but I'm looking for some "expert advice" - thank you for your input.

I am confused... you are saying you can not put the sub on the floor.. so are you saying your AVR is 12ft off of the floor then?

Your sub does not follow your center channel or your TV.... the sub is suppose to be placed in a spot on the floor where it has the best response in your room.

Even your speakers are not in the optimal placement being above your TV.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK - I didn't mean to make it too complicated, but here's the problem. The fireplace unit is located in the center of the room. I have run electricity to the wood storage through the ceiling and down through the fireplace. I've then mounted the television above the fireplace - it's 6-8 feet off the ground - and the components are in the old wood storage area to the side of the fireplace (yes, I've checked for heat issues and it's a gas fireplace so it's not a problem - plus, I live in Texas and don't need a fire that often!). Due to the fireplace and other problems in the ceiling, I can not run a wire back through the fireplace, into the ceiling and into the wall where I could run it to the ground and hide a subwoofer behind some furniture or along the wall. The only option is to place the subwoofer on the front of the fireplace - not very attractive and usually in the way of too many things - or place it (with the speaker) above the television.

I understand that the speakers are not in an optimal location, but the room have very high ceilings (18-20 feet) and the speakers have worked well in that location. I am simply wondering if anyone has ever placed a subwoofer in a higher location or if that's not a legitimate idea. If so, I will move forward with the center speaker and forget adding the subwoofer.

Again, many thanks for any advice you can provide to my question.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After reading several other forums, does a wireless subwoofer seem like an option? Anyone have any experience with these??

1 - 8 of 8 Posts