AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am now rounding out my new HiFi/HT system and need to add a sub-woofer. I wanted to get the system up and running and then review the sub's with my own system. With out bring home everyone of them .Any suggestions. 50/50 music/movies

EQ: PSB Silliverii-=- C6i center. --Back my older Mitsubishi towers

Denon 3803

Pan82- for DVD

Sony Ce775- modified for music

TV: will add Sony 34xbr800 soon.

Subs; I will look at : SVS- Hus- paradigm and the PSB

A audio pro friend of mine told me you need to match your sub power out put to your fronts or distortion will occur.

How would go about reviewing subs. I have been doing my home work

but you guys/( the the one gal) know alot.

Thanks

DAB

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
If you are looking for the best bang for the buck, I would suggest one of the powered subs from SVS. They might look bulky, but you will be rewarded with bass that has both quality and quantity. In fact, a single SVS sub can equal or exceed the performance of the highly regarded Velodyne HGS-18.

I would recommend the 20-39Pci. It has true bass extension to 20 Hz, and can do it with unbeleivable spls.

I you are looking for a subwoofer that has the traditional box appearance unlike the cylindrical SVS, then I would recommend the Adire Audio Dharma. Tom Noissaine has reviewed it and said it pretty much has the performance of the $2500 Velodyne HGS-15 for only about $600.

I have had experience with the driver that is being used with this subwoofer (Adire Audio Shiva). It is amazing. In my vented enclosure tuned to 21 Hz, i get max SPL at 22 Hz at 106 dB, 25 Hz at 108 dB! Not only can they pound but they are also very musical, much like the Velodynes.

James

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
About the TV, if you are going to spend that much on a single TV, I would get a front projector system instead. For about that price, you can get the Panasonic AE200 and a Da-Lite Model B screen. Large screens are so much more exiting than a 34" TV when watching movies!

I own a front projector that I only use for nightime movie watching. during the day, the screen is rolled up and I use my 32" Wega for normal viewing.

James

·
Registered
424 Posts
Quote:
A audio pro friend of mine told me you need to match your sub power out put to your fronts or distortion will occur.
This is the first time I've seen this issue. Was your friend thinking of trying to drive an unpowered sub with the same amp as the mains? If so, I wouldn't think that this is a good idea for the 3803: I'd get either a powered sub or a separate amp for an unpowered sub.

jdg

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jcebedo1, Thanks for the repy. I don't think I have the room to set up a FP,but i will look at it.

JohnDG, no my friend stated a power woffer is the way to go. But the with the PSB silveri, i did want a woffer that would bottem out. I do want to stay around $600. I donot want some thing that will blowup the house.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Quote:
I donot want some thing that will blowup the house.
Actually a sub with that type of ability should sound better, just don't turn it up that high. You will not be pushing the amp into clipping or pushing the driver to the point of excessive distortion or bottoming. If you calibrate with an SPL meter and the audio portion of Avia, VE or any other cablibration disc, your system should blend together pretty good.

-Robert

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My understanding is if I do do a good job of matchings and balancing/blending all the speakers. I could lower the volume in the front speakers while using the sub. to get the "best " sound at a lower volume

for JAZZ and other music . I'll only turn on the sub -high- for movies when the neighbors are out of town.

DAB- Thanks everyone

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.