AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning to add a subwoofer (most probably Paradigm Servo-15) to my 2 channels system and I am wondering whether the addition of a subwoofer will make a huge difference for music listening. I have asked this question to many friends, but there is no consensus regarding this issue. I will really appreciate getting your opinions

Thanks

My system:

Receiver HK 3475

DVD HK DVD 25

Speakers Paradigm Reference 60 V.2

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
No doubt you will get various opinions - much depends on the main speakers, the room, type of music, listening preferences, etc. Personally I think the addition of a sub for music is great - provided you can properly integrate it into your room and system.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
I don't know much about the particular Velodyne that you'd like to purchase, but I do feel that 2-channel listening is greatly enhanced by using a sub-woofer. I wish subs were around 25 years ago when I started to get into building speakers and putting together stereo equipment.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
In a similar vein to wje's post, I never heard good bass in my home until I bought a pair of behemoth RTR's in 1980, and I felt like I'd stepped into another audio realm. It's great that now you can get a comparitively small box to do as well, or better what one previously needed monolithic speakers to do.

I wouldn't like to do without a good sub, it makes the music come alive IMO. Whether you're listing to rock, jazz, symphony, whatever...there's a lot of bass information that can only be conveyed realistically with a sub or with very large speakers. Can't say it would make much difference for some music, but it certainly does with at least 90% of what I play.

Highly recommended. The Servo-15 seems by predominant opinion to be an outstanding performer too.

For sub integration tips I recommend reading these two AA forum messages from my favorite bass nut, Richard Greene.

http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/spe...es/138304.html

http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/spe...es/138411.html

·
Premium Member
3,832 Posts
IMO, a quality subwoofer is an absolute must (for both music and HT). There are a few main speakers that don't need a sub but these have separate bass modules which could be classified as a subwoofer (which just happens to come with the main speaker). Examples would be the top end Infinity, Genesis & Martin Logan speakers.

Some advantages of using a subwoofer:

- optimal placement of bass transducer in the room (smoother response, better output, better extension)

- Deeper frequency extension of the system

- Higher bass output of the system

- Better midrange sound. A proper crossover setting will route all the low bass to your sub (thus alleviating the load from your main amplifiers). This additional power will result in added dynamic response from the mains.

You will want to get a test tone CD and SPL meter so you can find the optimal placement of the sub/s in your room. Proper room treatments or a parametric EQ will help tame room modes.

·
Registered
198 Posts
what a sub adds to full range speakers sound is a definition of the floor. as wierd as it sounds, listening to full range speakers you get the sense of bass, but something is still lacking. add a sub and it anchors the bass so instead of your sound floating between the two speakers, you get a floor; equating to height definition. kind of hard to explain...

·
Registered
561 Posts
Some people simply don't like bass and think is superfluous. I think that you are leaving aside an important part of the emotional content if you don't have a real sub (like the one you are thinking).

But maybe the real answer is that it depends on the music you listen. For classical music, is a most. For jazz, blues and acoustic rock, it can be unnecessary. For electronic music is really appreciated, etc.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I agree with much of what has already been said. A great sub can really add to an already good system. You gain an added sense of ambience on some recordings. You gain solidity. And, if you do some sort of hi-pass on your main speakers, you can clean up the midbass and lower mids as well. Last, careful integration of the sub can result in a smoother low frequency extension than that gained by a full range system on it's own. You can often use the transition range between the sub and the mains to seriously reduce at least one major room peak.

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
But, if you have a very nice 2-channel setup, a poor sub, or a poorly setup sub can be very distracting and detracting. It's difficult to get a good sub, and then work it into your system. The servo-15 is a solid unit, just make sure you spend the time moving it all around to find the best location(i know the servo-15's big and heavey but get a friend to help or something), and blend it well with the mains, and resist the tendancy to turn it up really loud. You shouldn't notice the subwoofer when listening, it should just be doing a little helping out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.