AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please bare with me as im kinda new to all this.

My subwoofer is currently connected to my Onkyo receiver via an RCA cable that goes from the "Line Ins" on the back of the woofer to a Y splitter and then into my receiver in the single sub-woofer out hole. (I think its an RCA; it just has red and white plugs)

Is this the best way to connect it?

Do i need to be plugged into botht eh L and R in the line in on the back of the woofer? It sounds like it works directly into the R alone.

I need to move the woofer and now need a 25ft cable and trying to figure out what my options are.

Thanks!

·
Registered
30,788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwitel /forum/post/19633248

Please bare with me as im kinda new to all this.

My subwoofer is currently connected to my Onkyo receiver via an RCA cable that goes from the "Line Ins" on the back of the woofer to a Y splitter and then into my receiver in the single sub-woofer out hole. (I think its an RCA; it just has red and white plugs)

Is this the best way to connect it?

Do i need to be plugged into botht eh L and R in the line in on the back of the woofer? It sounds like it works directly into the R alone.

I need to move the woofer and now need a 25ft cable and trying to figure out what my options are.

Thanks!

That is probably fine if your sub does not have an input marked LFE. If you have that one, use it instead.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson /forum/post/19633251

That is probably fine if your sub does not have an input marked LFE. If you have that one, use it instead.

All it has bor cable input is the Line in for L and R (which I dont understand...how is there R and L for a subwoofer?)

As for wires, it has clip inputs for Left and Right too.

The wire I am currently using that is just Red and White; what is it called and, do i need to continue using this splitter?

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
There is either a passive or active summing circuit inside that mixes L&R as there is sub Woofer audio information in both channels.

If you receiver only has a single sub out, that summing is already accomplished in the receiver and does not need to be duplicated at the sub. You can use either the left or the right sub input as there will be no difference in audio output.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmologist /forum/post/19633284

There is either a passive or active summing circuit inside that mixes L&R as there is sub Woofer audio information in both channels.

If you receiver only has a single sub out, that summing is already accomplished in the receiver and does not need to be duplicated at the sub. You can use either the left or the right sub input as there will be no difference in audio output.

Thank you sir-that was the info i was looking for.

This single cable that i would use for the sub-what is it called?

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmologist

Yes, probably no difference between left or right input and that works fine in most cases as you say.

But, if changing from left or right to both, or vice versa, there could be a significant level change. The level of my Definitive Tech PF1500 changes by roughly 5dB using left or right vs both via a "Y" cable. So, if the system is dialed in with single feed then changed "Y" feed or vice versa, the sub cal level should be re-checked.

Also, if there is a problem with auto on function not turning on the sub at lower volumes, sometimes using the "Y" feed to both inputs helps with that.

·
Registered
30,788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmologist /forum/post/19633284

True, in general. However, some subwoofers (depending on their level settings and input signal levels) will switch their auto-on circuits more efficiently when both L/R inputs are fed, albeit with the same signal. There is no downside and this will not change the sound, of course, but it may preclude the complaints from some users that "I have to turn up the volume before my sub turns on."

·
Registered
280 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson /forum/post/19635116

True, in general. However, some subwoofers (depending on their level settings and input signal levels) will switch their auto-on circuits more efficiently when both L/R inputs are fed, albeit with the same signal. There is no downside and this will not change the sound, of course, but it may preclude the complaints from some users that "I have to turn up the volume before my sub turns on."

Hmm, this is interesting. I noticed that the auto-on for my sub would take a while to cut on, when I was running only one cable to either the L or R input on the sub.

I eventually just figured that the L & R are there for a reason, and decided to run a "Y" cable from the sub cable, splitting the signal in two, and plugging them both into the L & R inputs of the sub.

The sub cuts on almost immediately of receiving a signal now.

I'm no expert or anything, but I defintely say that it couldn't hurt to plug your LFE signal to both L & R inputs on your sub.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMURAI36 /forum/post/19635312

Hmm, this is interesting. I noticed that the auto-on for my sub would take a while to cut on, when I was running only one cable to either the L or R input on the sub.

I eventually just figured that the L & R are there for a reason, and decided to run a "Y" cable from the sub cable, splitting the signal in two, and plugging them both into the L & R inputs of the sub.

The sub cuts on almost immediately of receiving a signal now.

I'm no expert or anything, but I defintely say that it couldn't hurt to plug your LFE signal to both L & R inputs on your sub.

I agree; might as well err on the side of caution and just use both and plug into the splitter.

The cable that I am using, that is one red and one white...what is this cable called?

·
Registered
9,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwitel /forum/post/19636602

The cable that I am using, that is one red and one white...what is this cable called?

"Two channel analog audio," or "analog audio" for short.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa
"Two channel analog audio," or "analog audio" for short.
Is it a coaxial cable?

Or is it an RCA cable?

I dont know why, but I cant find what im looking for on Monoprice.

·
Premium Member
3,669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwitel
Is it a coaxial cable?

I dont know why, but I cant find what im looking for on Monoprice.
Single RCA cable...

eg...
Monoprice - 12ft High-quality Coaxial Audio/Video RCA CL2 Rated Cable - RG6/U 75ohm (for S/PDIF, Digital Coax, Subwoofer, and Composite Video)
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Quote:
Is it a coaxial cable?

Or is it an RCA cable?
RCA is the type of plug on the end of the cable. Coaxial is the type of wire inside. It can be both.

Monoprice markets their digital coaxial, composite video, and subwoofer cable as the same cable. Those cables are 75ohm, which isn't necessary for subwoofers, but is for digital audio and video.

This is the sub, et al, cable.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/su...02&cp_id=10236

This is an analog audio cable pair, although they don't explicitly say it is:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

I don't know if the analog audio cables they make are 75ohm, but it wouldn't surprise me if it were.

·
Registered
30,788 Posts
Quote:
Is it a coaxial cable?
Cannot tell without cutting it open.

Quote:
Or is it an RCA cable?
If it has RCA connectors on it, it is an RCA cable.

·
Registered
22,643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson
Except for a "digital coax" cable which happens to use RCA connectors.

25 years ago, "RCA cable" would best describe interconnects when it applied to audio and/or "yellow" RCA for video. BUt now with S/PDIF and component video, you really can't just say they are RCA cables. "RCA" is just the connector type.

·
Registered
30,788 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman
Except for a "digital coax" cable which happens to use RCA connectors.
Still an RCA cable which, btw, would also work fine for analog.

Quote:
25 years ago, "RCA cable" would best describe interconnects when it applied to audio and/or "yellow" RCA for video. BUt now with S/PDIF and component video, you really can't just say they are RCA cables. "RCA" is just the connector type.
Agreed but any of these will work for analog.

It would be great if everyone was precise and correct but sloppy verbiage is endemic.

·
Registered
6,908 Posts
 Hsu Research (who manufacture very nice subs) says:

"Which should I use with my subwoofer, a mono or stereo cable?

The vast majority of people should use a mono cable (connect it to the SUBWOOFER or LFE output on your receiver). Use stereo cables only with 2-channel stereo preamps."

·
Registered
3,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson /forum/post/19636960

It's a CINCH to say "If it has RCA connectors on it, it is an RCA cable."

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.