AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

hi all, i have a question about a certain brand of subs. I recently bought these 2 12" subs called USA audio firestorm subwoofers. Ive looked on the internet and searched and searched but i cant find anything about them. I would just like to know more about them 

·
Banned
15,491 Posts
If there's nothing on the web the two most common reasons are that the company has been out of business for a very long time or they're White Van speakers.

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
Pictures? Hope you didn't pay much for them if they're white van man speakers, in fact if they're active subs I'd be concerned about electrical safety of the units.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Google turned up a post about these being cheap drivers that were sold on ebay about 12 years ago.

Here's an old advertisement posted on caraudio.com:

INSANE 12" WOOFERS! 2400 WATTS TOTAL (FireStorm)

**$89.00

FIRESTORM PRO SERIES

1200 WATTS EACH

12" SUBWOOFERS!

YOU GET A PAIR! (2 PC'S)

HIGH FIDELITY PROFESSIONAL SERIES SUBWOOFER

NICKEL COATED DIE-CAST BASKET AND END PLATES

STRONTIUM CARBONATE FERRITE MEGA 200oz MAGNET

HIGHT TEMPERATURE COPPER WITE VOICE COIL

DOUBLE WALLED KAPTON FORMER

SUPER STRONG GAUSS VENTED MAGNET STRUCTURE

HEAVY DUTY POLY COTTON FLAT SPIDER

HIGH-STRENGTH ORGANIC FIBER CONE

HEAVY DUTY RUBBER SURROUND

EXTENDED VENTED POLE PIECE FOR MAXIMUM EXCURSION AND HEAT DISSIPATION

SPECIAL GOLD PLATED TERMINAL

1200 WATTS OF POWER! (EACH WOOFER!) 2400 WATTS FOR THE PAIR!

THESE ARE INSANE! THE PICTURE DOES NOT DO THEM JUSTICE! YOU NEED TO HOLD THESE IN YOUR HAND TO BELIEVE THE INCREDIBLE MAGNET SIZE AND POWER OF THESE SUBS!

YOU GET A PAIR OF THESE, BRAND NEW IN THE SEALED CARTON.

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrich3  /t/1521575/subwoofers#post_24456447

Google turned up a post about these being cheap drivers that were sold on ebay about 12 years ago.

Here's an old advertisement posted on caraudio.com:

INSANE 12" WOOFERS! 2400 WATTS TOTAL (FireStorm)

**$89.00
$45 dollar drivers are $45 drivers, no matter how much you hype them up.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice  /t/1521575/subwoofers/0_50#post_24456542

$45 dollar drivers are $45 drivers, no matter how much you hype them up.

Given that "YOU NEED TO HOLD THESE IN YOUR HAND TO BELIEVE THE INCREDIBLE MAGNET SIZE AND POWER OF THESE SUBS!", I can only assume that you are not currently holding a pair in your hand. If you were, you most assuredly would believe... something...

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrich3  /t/1521575/subwoofers#post_24456648

Given that "YOU NEED TO HOLD THESE IN YOUR HAND TO BELIEVE THE INCREDIBLE MAGNET SIZE AND POWER OF THESE SUBS!", I can only assume that you are not currently holding a pair in your hand. If you were, you most assuredly would believe... something...
I believe in real driver specs. For the benefit of those not aware of what specs are, this explains:
http://www.eminence.com/support/understanding-loudspeaker-data/

For all the hoopla in that ad there is not one Theile/Small spec.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I know the magnet is big! And the way the magnet is mounted to the speaker is a unique way of doing so, here's some pictures
I don't know if the pictures showed up

·
Banned
15,491 Posts
They look impressive, but it's all flash with no substance. That's not the least bit out of the ordinary with auto sound drivers, which are made to look pretty, because pretty sells. In any event without T/S specs there's no way of knowing what cabinet design might work with them, but being inexpensive auto sound drivers I'd put them each in a 1 cut ft sealed box. And being auto sound drivers that's where they should be used.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts