AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, recently I was going to buy full towers but I figured while I search for those I would start my system now. I went ahead and got the SVS Ultra Bookshelves along with a Marantz SR7008. I'm thinking for sure I want a sealed sub as it will mostly be used for music. Probably 85% music. I'm not really on a strict budget for right now. I would just like to keep it around 1.6k US or 2k CAD. I only care about performance not aesthetics. If it's worth the extra $200~300 not an issue for me. My room is 14' x 12' x 8'.

Just an extra question: Will 2 sealed subs increase the output?

My list thus far.
SVS SB-13 Ultra
PSA S3000i (On their site they claim it would take 2.6x SB-13 Ultra? Link)
XS30se
I also heard that HSU had a good one don't know the model of it though.
Rythmik F25
F15HP

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
So, recently I was going to buy full towers but I figured while I search for those I would start my system now. I went ahead and got the SVS Ultra Bookshelves along with a Marantz SR7008. I'm thinking for sure I want a sealed sub as it will mostly be used for music. Probably 85% music. I'm not really on a strict budget for right now. I would just like to keep it around 1.6k US or 2k CAD. I only care about performance not aesthetics. If it's worth the extra $200~300 not an issue for me. My room is 14' x 12' x 8'.

Just an extra question: Will 2 sealed subs increase the output?

My list thus far.
SVS SB-13 Ultra
PSA S3000i (On their site they claim it would take 2.6x SB-13 Ultra? Link)
XS30se
I also heard that HSU had a good one don't know the model of it though.
Rythmik F25
F15HP
Get the Reaction Gamma 218 and don't look back. It will seriously beat everything on that list and steal their lunch money.
http://reaction-audio.myshopify.com/products/gamma-218?variant=1107649941
It's not even close. $99 over your budget, but the performance difference over the rest of your list is well worth the extra $99.

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
Wow, you’re thinking of putting those powerhouse subs in a 1,344 cu. ft. room? For music, which is what they will mainly be used for, they would be an overkill. For movies, they would float most basshead’s boat. And it seems you’ve done your research. All the subs listed are very highly thought of.

The sealed Hsu is the ULS-15. I’ve auditioned this sub, along with the XS30 and SB13-Ultra.

Yes, two subs will give you approximately 3 dB to 6 dB output gain depending upon where they are placed (need to be mutually coupled, i.e., close to each other for the 6 dB gain). You will also get some serious cabin gain in that room. And yes, if you can fit the Gamma 18 in your room, I agree with STL D that it would be hard to beat for movies. I do not agree that it would “seriously beat everything on that list and steal their lunch money”. :). But for the price, it seems like one heck of a sub.

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
For music you'll be fine with a 12" sealed sub, ie SVS2000. Yes a SBU13 is a upgrade and it has features that is useful, and for a larger room- for music- it may be worthwhile.

I have SB12+ and SBU13, and the SBU13 is a higher grade sub. Now if I I had the money I'd have SBU13 in the hifi too as I feel it's more refined, but £1300 for a hifi sub is a bit much as I only have a sub to help out the floorstanders.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
If you have room and placement options, go for Dual subs for room smoothness. These would git within your budget.

PSA XS15se ($1500)
SVS SB-2000 ($1300)
RA Gamma 15 ($1600)

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Get the Reaction Gamma 218 and don't look back. It will seriously beat everything on that list and steal their lunch money.
http://reaction-audio.myshopify.com/products/gamma-218?variant=1107649941
It's not even close. $99 over your budget, but the performance difference over the rest of your list is well worth the extra $99.
Wow, you’re thinking of putting those powerhouse subs in a 1,344 cu. ft. room? For music, which is what they will mainly be used for, they would be an overkill. For movies, they would float most basshead’s boat. And it seems you’ve done your research. All the subs listed are very highly thought of.

The sealed Hsu is the ULS-15. I’ve auditioned this sub, along with the XS30 and SB13-Ultra.

Yes, two subs will give you approximately 3 dB to 6 dB output gain depending upon where they are placed (need to be mutually coupled, i.e., close to each other for the 6 dB gain). You will also get some serious cabin gain in that room. And yes, if you can fit the Gamma 18 in your room, I agree with STL D that it would be hard to beat for movies. I do not agree that it would “seriously beat everything on that list and steal their lunch money”. :). But for the price, it seems like one heck of a sub.

For music you'll be fine with a 12" sealed sub, ie SVS2000. Yes a SBU13 is a upgrade and it has features that is useful, and for a larger room- for music- it may be worthwhile.

I have SB12+ and SBU13, and the SBU13 is a higher grade sub. Now if I I had the money I'd have SBU13 in the hifi too as I feel it's more refined, but £1300 for a hifi sub is a bit much as I only have a sub to help out the floorstanders.
It doesn't help that my dad's got dual PB13U's.. Those things pack a punch in an open room let alone a closed room.

If you have room and placement options, go for Dual subs for room smoothness. These would git within your budget.

PSA XS15se ($1500)
SVS SB-2000 ($1300)
RA Gamma 15 ($1600)

Emailed them about the Gamma 218, shipping was $210 to me so I wanted to know if it includes duties.. Highly unlikely however my uncle lives in Michigan so I can always take a quick trip to him and not pay any duties ;) I'll probably end up auditioning the SVS SB13U as it's easier to get a hold of with an authorized dealer only a few hours away.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts

Twin 18" subs with 37mm xmech? Just one driver in that situation is going to have more displacement than the XS30, and now we're talking about two of them. What sub in that list could stand up to it?

It doesn't help that my dad's got dual PB13U's.. Those things pack a punch in an open room let alone a closed room.

Emailed them about the Gamma 218, shipping was $210 to me so I wanted to know if it includes duties.. Highly unlikely however my uncle lives in Michigan so I can always take a quick trip to him and not pay any duties ;) I'll probably end up auditioning the SVS SB13U as it's easier to get a hold of with an authorized dealer only a few hours away.
If you have it delivered to your uncle in michigan, shipping will be FREE on the gamma 218.

FREE GROUND SHIPPING TO LOWER 48 states

All other areas please call us at 1 888 315 3437

or email us at [email protected]
:D

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Twin 18" subs with 37mm xmax? Just one driver in that situation is going to have more displacement than the XS30, and now we're talking about two of them. What sub in that list could stand up to it?

If you have it delivered to your uncle in michigan, shipping will be FREE on the gamma 218.

Yeah, but for convince, driving a truck down there to pick it up and come back would probably cost me a full tank.. ;)

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
Twin 18" subs with 37mm xmech? Just one driver in that situation is going to have more displacement than the XS30, and now we're talking about two of them. What sub in that list could stand up to it?
To each their own. I wouldn’t want or need that sub in a small room for music, period. I’d be looking at the F15HP, E15HP or the SB13-Ultra, and even those are complete overkill for music in that room. Not everyone needs a sledgehammer, just the right tool for the job.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
People still talk about wanting sealed subs for music. I have sealed and vented 18 inch subs and can't tell the difference with music. The old tales of sealed being better for music are just that, old tales. If you are into pipe organ music it may have some merit otherwise, get a good sub and you will be set. Eighteen inch subs are fine for music: they are quick and accurate just as a smaller sub.

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
People still talk about wanting sealed subs for music. I have sealed and vented 18 inch subs and can't tell the difference with music. The old tales of sealed being better for music are just that, old tales. If you are into pipe organ music it may have some merit otherwise, get a good sub and you will be set. Eighteen inch subs are fine for music: they are quick and accurate just as a smaller sub.
I had PC Ultra 13, and now have SB Ultra 13.

For music, in my room, the SB Ultra is better subwoofer

·
Registered
75" Samsung Q80R QLED, Denon AVR3300, Revel F36, C25, W263, FV15HP x 2, ATV4K, Sony Blu Ray, Harmony
8,852 Posts
I agree with you here Derrick, however....if you need the sub only for music, there is no reason to add size and cost by choosing ported. If you want a dual purpose sub and only have room for one or two, I agree ported is generally the better option in order to meet output requirements.

·
Premium Member
8,440 Posts
To each their own. I wouldn’t want or need that sub in a small room for music, period. I’d be looking at the F15HP, E15HP or the SB13-Ultra, and even those are complete overkill for music in that room. Not everyone needs a sledgehammer, just the right tool for the job.
The Gamma 15 would work well against those subs, and the older version which was the PS15x has already tested to have better output then the SB13-Ultra if you go off of the data-bass numbers. The only downside was the fact the PS15x's amp had a built in 18hz high pass filter, with the new ICE amps there's no need to worry about that so there's no reason why it shouldn't best a SB13 over the entire FR.

·
Premium Member
8,440 Posts

The subs are US made so you wouldn't have to pay any duties, but you would have to pay the GST tax on it.

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
The Gamma 15 would work well against those subs, and the older version which was the PS15x has already tested to have better output then the SB13-Ultra if you go off of the data-bass numbers. The only downside was the fact the PS15x's amp had a built in 18hz high pass filter, with the new ICE amps there's no need to worry about that so there's no reason why it shouldn't best a SB13 over the entire FR.
Hi, jbrown: I’m not debating output capability. We both know output is just one parameter. Output isn’t always a critical criteria, especially in a small room used for music. I’m debating whether the Gamma 218 is the appropriate sub for a 1,344 cu. ft. room that is used for 85% music. What I did say and mean, is that particular sub would NOT be on my radar, while the others I mentioned might be, except they too would be overkill in a room that size. :). I think I already stated that I thought the Gamma 18 was a great sub. I think Jeremy has hit his lineup out of the park.

I realize that output for movies can indeed be critical, especially in large rooms. Movie LFE can be more demanding. For music, even in my 3,500 cu. ft. room (that is rather open), the subs I mentioned could more than do the job (and one has). I’ve mentioned before that I tested 3 subwoofers for a music only room, and all were sealed designs. Two subs sounded very similar, but not the same. The third sub was simply better. And yes, the SB13 was the most expensive (the others were the XS30 and ULS-15). But it was also a little cleaner with all the music I tested it with, and had more impact with music from my favorite artists, and sometimes surprisingly more impact. That’s why we audition subs. To find out their actual real-life performance in our home environment. Spec sheets are great. I always look at them. But I think we can agree that they can only take you so far.

Reactions: Reckless95

·
Premium Member
8,440 Posts
Hi, jbrown: I’m not debating output capability. We both know output is just one parameter. Output isn’t always a critical criteria, especially in a small room used for music. I’m debating whether the Gamma 218 is the appropriate sub for a 1,344 cu. ft. room that is used for 85% music. What I did say and mean, is that particular sub would NOT be on my radar, while the others I mentioned might be, except they too would be overkill in a room that size. :). I think I already stated that I thought the Gamma 18 was a great sub. I think Jeremy has hit his lineup out of the park.

I realize that output for movies can indeed be critical, especially in large rooms. Movie LFE can be more demanding. For music, even in my 3,500 cu. ft. room (that is rather open), the subs I mentioned could more than do the job (and one has). I’ve mentioned before that I tested 3 subwoofers for a music only room, and all were sealed designs. Two subs sounded very similar, but not the same. The third sub was simply better. And yes, the SB13 was the most expensive (the others were the XS30 and ULS-15). But it was also a little cleaner with all the music I tested it with, and had more impact with music from my favorite artists, and sometimes surprisingly more impact. That’s why we audition subs. To find out their actual real-life performance in our home environment. Spec sheets are great. I always look at them. But I think we can agree that they can only take you so far.

Oh I'm not disagreeing with you, that's also why I was talking about the Gamma 15's not the 218. ;) :)

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My age probably has something to do with it... I've read quite a few threads and was just trying to gather as much info as I could.. I picked the SB13U as a starting point. The rest of the list was just suggested to me. I just figured sealed would help keep the size to performance up as my room is smaller. I couldn't imagine having a PB13U in my room. Obviously a PB13U would destroy the SB. But at the same time I wasn't look for just output. I wanted something excellent for music and based my opinion off of what I've read thus far. The more questions I ask the more confused I get. Example, dual vs single for smoothness. Would it really make a huge difference to go with duals right away?

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
My age probably has something to do with it... I've read quite a few threads and was just trying to gather as much info as I could.. I picked the SB13U as a starting point. The rest of the list was just suggested to me. I just figured sealed would help keep the size to performance up as my room is smaller. I couldn't imagine having a PB13U in my room. Obviously a PB13U would destroy the SB. But at the same time I wasn't look for just output. I wanted something excellent for music and based my opinion off of what I've read thus far. The more questions I ask the more confused I get. Example, dual vs single for smoothness. Would it really make a huge difference to go with duals right away?
I almost never suggest buying two subs at once. Buy one, do the subwoofer crawl in order to properly place your sub, then listen. If your seating area is being fully covered by good, even bass, you are set. Nothing more to do except to enjoy yourself. If, however, you cannot find a good spot that will provide you with that good, clean bass, then a second sub will most likely be needed.

Reactions: Alan P

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
Oh I'm not disagreeing with you, that's also why I was talking about the Gamma 15's not the 218. ;) :)
Yes, the Gamma 15 fits nicely with the Rythmiks and SVS. I also suspect since Jeremy is a musician, that his subs would be very good for music.

Reactions: jbrown15

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
I say those subs are overkill for music in that room, :eek: How loud and what time of music to do you listen to?

I ran a sb2000 and I thought that was more then enough for music in a similar room as yours. I like bass as the next guy. Now for watching movies then I am all for as much as I can handle.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts