AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

In the middle of doing a series of upgrades to my rig. Would like to get inputs for subwoofers to add to my system. Currently running Definitive Technology BP-3000TLs with integrated 1000 watt 18" subs in each of the front right and left speakers. Also have the CLR 3000 with 300 watt sub built in the center channel. I am looking to add a couple more subs, but looking for something a lot tighter than what I have in the 18" built in subs. Any inputs? Looking for somethign very tight and with a lot of punch. Right now the plan is to runn all subs at the same time, but may end of disabling the subs in the Def Techs if the new subs can really achieve the punch and depth I am looking for.

thx,

·
Registered
12,310 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Parys  /t/1472604/subwoorfer-with-super-tight-punch-input-requested#post_23311710

Hi all,

In the middle of doing a series of upgrades to my rig. Would like to get inputs for subwoofers to add to my system. Currently running Definitive Technology BP-3000TLs with integrated 1000 watt 18" subs in each of the front right and left speakers. Also have the CLR 3000 with 300 watt sub built in the center channel. I am looking to add a couple more subs, but looking for something a lot tighter than what I have in the 18" built in subs. Any inputs? Looking for somethign very tight and with a lot of punch. Right now the plan is to runn all subs at the same time, but may end of disabling the subs in the Def Techs if the new subs can really achieve the punch and depth I am looking for.

thx,

Suggest you take a look @ the attached link about multiple subwoofers. Todd Welti was part of the Dr.Toole's R&D team @ Harman International, they have been recommending/testing for multiple subwoofers for over 10 years..

http://www.harman.com/EN-US/OurCompany/Innovation/Documents/White%20Papers/multsubs.pdf

Just my $0.02... 👍😉

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
Bigger subs=larger mass=slow transients... So you will want to get subs with smaller drivers... 10-12"... Best to look into subs with dual drivers, both active if possible. Sealed subs are generally thought to have quicker response than ported designs. Problem is that smaller sealed subs do not go that deep without equalization, need more power.

·
Registered
13,125 Posts
The size vs. speed trade is usually wrong for subs. It has been debated endlessly already.

I suggest Rythmik; their servo design provides excellent performance and the sealed designs go well below 20 Hz. The vented designs offer higher output but steeper roll-off below the port frequency, but still have servo control for well-controlled drivers. Disclaimer: I am a very happy Rythmik owner.

Most modern designs driven with a good amp will sound good.

Note 'tight" and "punch" often has to do more with system integration than the sub itself. Those characteristics are typically attributed to higher frequencies, say the 80 - 160 Hz octave, than the sub range below 80 Hz. 'ish. Matching sub phase to main phase and dealing with the room might help.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Take a look at the Seaton Submersive.

They are supposed to be in a class of their own and have won almost every contest / comparison I know of. They are available in several finishes and are still "affordable" pricewise.

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
Just got two JTR Captivator S2s. Talk about punch! My previous dual 18s gave some atmospheric sense of low tones to the mix, but these subs give the impression that agitation is taking place from outside the house -- like a terrible giant might be slapping the side of my theater room, and or gripping it with both hands and shaking violently. The volume setting I've dialed in on the back is just the first notch: +1, by Audyssey the sub registers as -9 relative to other speakers. I listen at overall volume of -13 to -17. So they are not really breaking a sweat, except on my brow when I think the house is going into a sinkhole...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts