AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I've been going all over town looking for great deals on an Ultimate TV. I visited a semi-local Best Buy and a come across a Panasonic Replay TV that is being sold as an open box special for $99. Knowing that these things come with basically a lifetime sub, I think I want it.

The problem is that it has -ZERO- accesories. No cables, manual, remote or power cord. Just the replay box. Well, I decide to go to the local library (as I'm about 50 miles from home). I jump on this forum and quickly find that an RCA universal remote ($50 retail) will work. I'm sure I can get the other items with no problem.

So I go back to BB and guess what? They have the RCA remote for $49.99. I talk to the sales guy and tell him that if he gives me the remote, I'll take it. He calls up the BBM (Big Boss Man) and he says NO! I ask him if I buy the service plan, will he do it. He tells me he is going to talk to the BBM in person. The guy shows back up about 5 minutes later and says that the BBM said no. I leave with my tail between my legs and go home. All the way home, I'm thinking that I should have bought it anyway.

After I got back to the comfort of my home, I did a little more searching and found out that the RS remotes will also work. Since they have the 15-2101 on sale for $14.99, I decide to pick one up and go back to BB to buy the Replay. I found a power cord at home that work as well.

So I get to BB and swing around the corner and what do I see? An empty space where the Replay was the night before. Kicking myself, a sales girl walks up and asks me, "How are you doing?" I tell her I'm lousy. "I was here last night looking at an open box special, (pointing to the empty shelf) and now it's gone." Say says, "The Replay TV?" "Yes", I say. "Oh, it's over here." We walk around the corner and there it is, but now with a $79.99 price tag on it. "I'll take it!"

So I get home and hook it up. I'm seeing the setup screens and everything looks great. It dials and gets the program listings. So far so good. That is until I try to view live TV. Nothing. I change it around trying every combination of connections I have. No live picture. BOO HOO! Based on posts here, I even try hooking up VCR imput. Nothing. This thing is broke.

The next afternoon (Thursday, 5/23), I call up the call up the Panasonic service center. Based on what I have read here, I wasn't expecting much in the way of service. I was connected to a very compitent and friendly tech. I explained everything that I had done (including 777 zones - 3 times). She asked me if I had hooked it up to get a VCR input and I said yes. She said it is broke and offer me the quick exchange with the credit card deal. She signed me up but had no idea when I would get a replacement. Today 5/29, Brown shows up and I have a new (refurbished) box.

I hooked it up, set it up and all is wonderful. Not a bad deal for $79 + $15 for the remote.

Like I said in the subject line, please don't hate me!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Glad for you!

I actually got a Showstopper at BB for $119.00 open box and used the mail in rebate and got $100 back. Total cost $19.

Woo hoo!

·
Registered
556 Posts
I also have a similar story as StuckOnReplay.. not as good though.. mine after my rebate check was $50 .. A week later I upgraded to an 80gb maxtor.. (At the time i bought mine, I had got the extended service plan, but "returned the plan" after I concluded I wanted to upgrade it)..

Mine was open box as well, no box, no manual, had the remote and a few cables (no ir blaster , no serial cables , etc)

Called panasonic, said i was missing the cables .. they sent out new a whole new cable set..!!

I downloaded the manual, and I did order a dual headed IR blaster from SmartHome.com just incase panasonic said no to the replacement cables , got that one first (before the box of goodies from Panasonic)..

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Hey Mark, see if you can get the $100 rebate. Now that would be a sweet deal. Get paid $5 for a replaytv. -mk

·
Registered
25 Posts
All along I thought I got the best deal, glad to see others are good shoppers too!

CC $199.00 (W/3 yr warranty)

- $100.00 (Panasonic rebate)

Sams $159.00 (WD 100 GB Drive)

- $100.00 (Sams rebate)

$159.00 for 100 GB w 3 year extended. Before you blast me for getting the warranty, it was part of the deal, and I would have paid $40.00 more without it. :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.