Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

We got it good here in Salt Lake city when it comes to DTV. Plenty of OTA channels to choose from with a good majority of residents able to pick up most channels from pretty far away (some people report 60+ miles)

When I got my DTC-100 and Silver Sensor I was happy with the fact that all the channels, save Fox 13, came in pretty strongly (70-80s). According to antennaweb Fox 13 isn't even supposed to be viewable in Northern Davis county and beyond (?). Living in Clearfield I got a bit miffed when over at a friends place in Layton (really close to me) I learned that he was able to pull in Fox 13 with no issues whatsoever. I have read about at least one other person in Layton on this forum who has had similar positive results.

No matter where I placed the Silver sensor, I could never achieve a consistent picture. Signal strength always hovers around 35-40 with annoying dropouts. There have been some unusually good days where the signal strength for no apparent reason (the weather APPEARED to be the same to me) jumped to 56 and remained rock solid for a couple of hours then petered back down to the 30s.

I have been watching alot of Fox lately soooo I had to do something about this. I decided on a Rat Shack 2152 Outdoor antenna today. It has a 80' boom. Honestly, I chose this as a last second replacement for the 2156 with a 160' boom because I was afraid of what kind of eyesore it might be outdoors (I have a HOA and nosy neighbors to deal with).

I just could not get this puppy installed in my attic. Space is really tight up there and even with the 80' boom there isn't a whole lot of room for maneuvering. Also, there is 3 floors between my TV and the attic soooo this made giving up on that option easier ;). Roof mounting was out of the question too since I really do not know anyone who has the kind of ladder and time to help me do a roof install.

Sooo that left me with doing a ground install. I bought a 10' mast and secured the puppy on my fence with a wall mount. I dug probably a good 5-6 inches into the ground before securing the mast to the fence. It's pretty stable. We will see how it does in the next week or so.

Results? Mixed at first. Slightly better on the stations that were already doing well (uppers eighties early nineties). KULC came in for the first time (9-1 - a new channel that is doing some testing right now). Fox 13 still wouldn't come in any better than with the Silver Sensor. Frustrated, I raised the attenna 3.5 feet to see if it would make any difference - nada.

I don't have a compass and honestly maybe that would have helped in the long run. I moved the antenna from what I thought was a pointing due west direction to about 180 degrees from where it was (it is now approximately pointing due east). This resulted in a signal that wasn't stronger than before (still remained at about 40) but at last the DTC 100 would show it without a single dropout.

Funny thing is that I could acheive a near 50 strength with the antenna pointed west yet suffer through a severely annoying period of dropouts. I'm not super technically inclined but I guess this must mean that due east suffers from less "multipath"?

Anyway, I'm now a happy camper that needs to get rid of a Silver Sensor ;).

Michael.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.