AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Living in Austin, TX, I have been limited to NBC OTA programming. Talking to one of the HD people from TW cable, he mentioned that in his discussions with our local CBS affiliate that they have no intention of broadcasting HD until required by law. As a result, I had set out to try and receive the CBS HD broadcast out of Waco, TX. (65 miles away through thick trees and several other 2 story homes). After unsuccessfully trying the local Radio-Shack combo UHF/VHF antennea, I tried a Channel Master 4248 (~80" of dedicated UHF) + a Channel Master 7777 preamp. I am getting a signal consistently in the high 80's with the antennea in the attic!

·
Registered
395 Posts
Shockley,

Wow, that's great news.

My Monitor is on order and I'm on the fence about my content provider solution right now. I kind of assumed that OTA was out of the question. Although you are a fair distance north of me, you do give me hope. I'd like to go with directv to get hdnet and get NBC and CBS ota.

So now you have both NBC and CBS programming OTA?

Any thoughts on my chances for getting something like this to work out in West Austin? I'm in a condo, so it would need to also be an attic solution. I've researched and I'm in a "red" zone for these signals. Not encouraging.

--Karl

[This message has been edited by Major Astro (edited 09-16-2001).]

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I am able to get both CBS and NBC. NBC broadcasts out of the West Lake Hills area. Yet, since I have my antenea focused on Waco, I am only getting NBC at 50-65. (Drops out every 10-15 minutes.) You should have no problem with NBC. As for other content providers in the area, I have tried both TW cable (HBO only) & Directv. I have stuck with directv to get the 2 channels (HDNET + HBO). The upside with TW cable is that you do not need to purchase a HD receiver. They will rent you a HD box for the something like $4.99 / mo. Yet, it is not capable of receiving OTA signals.

[This message has been edited by Shockley (edited 09-17-2001).]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.