AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in the Canyon Park area in Bothell and it's notoriously bad for OTA reception. All the antenna installers I spoke to stated it's a crap shoot in this area. But I wanted to get the DTV stations so I went up on my roof and installed a Terk TV55. It didn't perform well at all. I could only get 2 stations intermittently with a maximum of 50% signal - even with a 10db amp.

So I changed the antenna to a Channel Master 4228 (8 Bay Multi-Bow Antenna) and it's working great. I currently have it in a stationary position and I'm getting ABC, CBS and NBC. ABC and CBS are at 75% and NBC is at 93% signal. The HDTV is just jaw dropping. And I'm not using any pre-amp at all.

I may decide to put in a rotor to try and pick up the other DTV channels like FOX and PBS but I haven't decided yet.

Hope this helps any would be antenna hunters in Bothell.

[Renamed thread as per suggestion below:D ]

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Congrats!

I recently moved from Lk Forest Park to Shoreline (Innis Arden...south of Richmond Beach) and was worried about OTA reception. We're at the base of a fairly large hill/ridge running N->S along the water, with lots of trees. I stuck a RS yagi on the roof with a CM rotor and pre-amp.

I get a strong signal on all channels except PBS....can't seem to get a good lock.

Cheers and congrats!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They're only about 14 miles away but there is physical terrain between me and the towers which has made reception in my area almost impossible.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
RobbyD,

I've been having trouble with my current solution, and am thinking of getting either a CM4228 or 3021...

Where did you get your CM4228? Does anywhere in the Seattle area carry them locally, or did you have to mail-order yours?

Cheers!

Rich

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Hey guys, here is some more North Seattle data...

I'm in Shoreline - at the top of Richmond Beach Road (a few blocks north of Fred Meyers.

I just moved my small Radio Shack 2160 Yagi to the roof, about 25 off the ground, pointing a bit west of south (185-190). I get solid signals on 4/5/7 - 13 is fair and 9 lousy. This is with a cheap RS booster.

I suspect that I can reorient a bit and get 9 to improve but will probably loose 13 (9 was coming in strong when the antenna was in the attic, pointed due south).

I'm thinking of a larger antenna, and would like some data in return (or opinions if no data is to be had ;) )

I'd like to avoid a rotor/rotator, so how is the 'off axis' performance of the Channel Master 4228 (8 bow tie) vs the 4248 (large Yagi)?

FYI, 4/5/7 are at 180 degrees, 9 at 175, 13 at 225. Distances are less than 10 miles for all but 13 which is probably 20.

Rich - Pringle Electronics in Everett has the CM antennas. They quoted me 84.74 for the 4228. (425) 258-6161

tia,

jasg

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
JasG,

Thanks for the tip on Pringle...I'll give them a call.

You're really close to where I live...I'm just west of Shoreline CC...I'm currently using the larger RS yagi with a Rotor, and I get solid 4/7/13 with minimal rotation, and 5 is solid (most of the time). I get almost nothing from 9.

If you're looking for off-axis performance, I would stay away from the 4248 (yagi) as that will just increase your directionality. I'm going to try the 4228 or the 3021 as I seem to be fighting multipath issues (lots of low hills around me). I get strong signal most of the time, but with periodic dropouts. I'm pretty sure that the combination of tall trees and low foothills is creating a lot of stray signals.

I'll probably pick up a 4228 or 3021 this weekend and I can let you know how it works out for me.

cheers,

Rich

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Rich,

I decided that since it looks like rain this weekend, I'd forget the instant gratification and mail order a 4228 - cheaper at Warren Electronics, even with shipping.

I'll let you know how it works out for me in a week or so.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Robby,

Could you describe more where you are located in relation to the hills where you live.

I live on the eastside of a hill that is between me and the broadcast antennas on Queen Anne Hill.

I tried a Radio Shack UHF I think there called Yagi type antenna on analog UHF and did not have good success.

I was curious how bad your reception was before you tried the 4228.

I am encouraged by your success.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
JasG:

Well, I was going to mailorder from LnL, but now after calling Pringle this morning, I'm going to go pick one up on my own...

Rain shmain...I was on the roof last sat when it was blowing like crazy...Okay, it wasn't that bad (yet) but I was only up for a few minutes swapping my antenna (for a cm3010...waste of time :/ borrowed from a friend)

I have a rot(at)or, so all I have to do is get it up and pointing south...the rot(at)or does the rest. I'll probably grab either a 4221 or 4228 this weekend and let you know how it goes!

cheers,

Rich

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hey Seattle area guys. I'm in Lynnwood and can either get 4 5 7 9,, or 4 5 7 13, depending on where I manually rotate my 20 year old medium size rooftop VHF/UHF antenna. Can't get a steady 9 and 13 at one position. 9 will go in and out. Shouldn't you be able to get all with a rotor?

Bought my Mits HD5 STB from a sharp salesman/installer at Good Guys Bellevue. He said he's never been able to get all five at once. Since my 30 days aren't up on the HD5, I'm returning it for the Zenith DTV1080 to see if it'll do the trick without experimenting with antennas. Good luck.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Jiff,

Please report back after you get the Zenith to let us know how it works. I'm going to be picking up a STB after the new year but am still undecided as to which model to get. Being in Kent, your experience could help me out.

Thanks

·
Registered
279 Posts
Guess I'm pretty lucky being able to set an antenna out the window on my carport and pick up all channels.

Anyone else have a problem with audio on 13 ?? I get the picture fine, but no audio.....

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Actually, I can set my RS double bowtie indoor antenna on top of one of my surround speakers (in my basement!) and get channel 5 solid as a rock...I'd have to fiddle with the direction to pick anything else up though...

I really like having the rotor...I have the CM model with the IR receiver/controller, so I just program my pronto to change the channel on my AccessDTV card (using girder and slinke for IR..actually more complicated but that the gist of it) and to turn the antenna to the appropriate direction. Pretty straightforward one button to set the channel :p

I envy your ease of use though...I have been fiddling with the antenna (type, height, pitch, etc) trying to get channel 5 to be stable, and to get channel 9 at all. I'm at the base of a hill, right along the water in shoreline with lots of trees. I'm sure that I'm getting pretty bad multipath, as my signal strength is quite high, but periodically breaks up (with still high signal strength)

I'm going to pick up a 4221 this friday and see if that helps with my multipath stability issues.

Cheers!

Rich

·
Registered
435 Posts
Is pringle a local supplier in the Seattle area?

I live in Brier in a low spot with alot of trees. Even with a channelmaster Yagi my receptoion is intermitent. Alot of multipath problems I think. Was thinking of trying a Bowtie.

Sidenote I think we should unite and try to harass KING TV into dropping their endless promo loop and at least rebroadcast thier regular programiing in hd. The loop was interesting for about the first 6 months.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Hi guys, great thread here.

I receive all channels without adjusting my rotor (yes I am finally making a stand on rotor). But if I need to optimize for a specific channel I am ready.

I am using a Antennacraft MXU59 I bought at Pringles last spring. I also have a radioshack amplifier since I am running the signal to three decoders. I still have Channelmaster envy though. Pringles is a great source in the Puget Sound for top quality antenna goods.

I played with the Radioshack bowtie but it won't get the job done at my place In Lake Hills in Bellevue.

Jiff I receive all locals with a 100 reading on a Mitsubishi SR-HD5 compared to a 80 to 85 with my DTC-100 and I get a good signal (no meter) on all channels with a Panasonic TU-DST50W which has the same problem as Caspyr with the audio on KCPQ.

I don't know what the price difference is between the Zenith and the Mits but it could probably pay for the rotor or Channelmaster antenna with the ability and beam width pick up all locals without moving the antenna.

Check out antennaweb
http://www.antennaweb.org/antennaweb/

see how many degrees of beamwidth you need before you rule out needing a rotor.

Bruceko - Good idea about King but I have called and emailed them more than once. But it did work with KCTS as they now multicast the regular channel along with the HDdigital channel.

Maybe it is time for a new campaign.

JasG. The Channelmaster 4228 is probably a good one to try. That is the antenna I might go for in the spring. Still I like that but YAGI up on the roof like a 50s sci-fi movie lazer beam.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Interesting thread. I'm on the south end of Fidalgo Island, near Deception Pass. KCPQ is the only station I get 100% of the time. I get PBS about 50%, and the three major networks less. Sixty mile signal path for me, mostly over water.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
yep, good thread.

Wish we could rename it to "Seattle HDTV Tower" , I'm tired of those Boston & Denver geeks getting all the attention ;)

Maybe if we start one, the local stations will take notice...

Rich - I too was up on the roof last weekend, I'll take a weekend off while I wait for my 4228 ($47+ !).

Caspyr - No problems with sound on KCPQ 13 on my SIR T-150, just signal breakup every minute or so. Same thing on 9, but the rest is solid.

Art - from my location, I have the following:

169 degrees - KCTS9 - 8.6 miles (Capitol Hill)

182 degrees - KING5 - 7.3 miles (Queen Anne)

183 degrees - KOMO4 - 7.3 miles

184 degrees - KIRO7 - 7.3

239 degrees - KCPQ13 - 25.2 miles (Bremerton)

My 40" yagi is pointed at 185 or so & I have trouble with the off-beam stations.

wezar - try these sites too:

- get your latitude & longitude here

http://homer.ssd.census.gov/cgi-bin/mapbrowse-tbl/

- then use it at the following site (include ONLY 'DT') to get direction & distance as above.

http://bsexton.com/cgi-bin/tv.cgi

- this site has tower elevations & xmitter power

http://www.metronet.com/~chipk/tv/SEA.html

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Well I decided to give the CM4221 a shot, and picked one up at Pringle in Everett. I decided against the larger 8 bay (4228?) for two reasons....more expensive (not a good reason :p), and more importantly, it wouldn't fit in my car! :p I'm happy with the 4221, and will just have to make some adjustments to get 5 a little more stable.

I upgraded from a RS UHF Yagi (the bigger one), and have a rotor and a winegard pre-amp (UHF). My signal strengths for 4, 5, 7, and 13 were good prior to the upgrade, but channel 5 was prone to lots of dropouts, and the rest were very succeptible to wind and rain (lots of dropouts or unable to lock in bad weather...bad news in seattle :p). I have no luck getting 9 to tune in properly....

After the new antenna install, I get 4,5,7, and 13 with good strength, but 9 is iffy...sometimes it works, but most of the time is just bounces around and won't lock. Channels 4,7, and 13 are rock solid (don't have numbers from a stb, I use accessDTV) but they are at ~90% + each with proper antenna pointing (I have a rotor with remote). Channel 5 is problematic for me, but with proper pointing, I can get it to lock and be stable at ~50-70%....

The upgrade from the rs Yagi to the CM4221 (4 bay bowtie) has really improved my channel stability (at least yesterday when it was clear and not windy). With the RS yagi, when it would get windy, I couldn't pick up anything....I don't know if the 4221 will help with that, but here's to trying! :p

One thing I am going to try is raising the antenna a little further up. I have a 5' mast with a rotor on top, then the cm4221 directly mounted to the rotor. I'll probably get a longer "extension" mast, and mount the antenna partway up that. I can't go too high, as that will cause too much strain on the rotor, but with the bowtie antenna it won't be as much of an issue as it was with the yagi. Would have put it higher yesterday, but it was cold, would have required one more trip out (thought I had an extra mast at home so didn't pick one up), and I'd need a longer coax patch cable to hook it up (I'm out of connectors to crimp on.....got the cable and tool, just no connectors).

Anyway, so far so good :p

cheers,

Rich

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.