AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you have two sound cards in a HTPC without serious issues? What I'm thinking is to have an A2 for DVD-A only, then get a Revo or some such card for DVDs and CDs and everything else. From what everyone is saying, DVD-a on the Revo isn't going to happen, and there are too many titles not to invest an extra $100 to get the functionality.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Hello Big Guy,

My last htpc was a windows98se model that had two sound cards, a sound blaster for games and an Maudio for dvds and serious music. Upon bootup you could choose the hardware profile of games or dvd and each one had the sound card I didn't want for that application disabled.

Now I have a WinXP machine that has an Asus P4PE motherboard. I just use the analogue audio out on the mobo for games and if I am wanting serious sound, I have my choice of optical or coax digital music to my a/v receiver. All this with no reboot needed and no pci slots taken up by sound cards.

Hope this helps,

Paul

·
Registered
207 Posts
Yes you can without any side effects. At least using WindowsXP.

My configuration has a Maudio Sonica and a Aureal. Most applications, including Media player and JukeBox let you choose which card to output the signal to.

I can use two applications to drive the two cards at the same time. However, don't try to read from the same CD/DVD drive. I was doing some A/B listening using Rastopovich's Sherazade (which is a HDCD and Media Player 9 can decode the 20 bit compression) and killed the drive :-(

Best, avdude

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.