AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into making a def tech speaker purchase very soon. My question is there such a thing as too much speaker for an area or seating distance. The room is 12X14 sitting back about 10' from tv. Speakers will be pulled out about 1 1/2 to 2' so I will be sitting aprox. 8' from speakers. Looking at either the BP7004's or BP7002's. Any recommendations? Thanks

Jeff

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
In the Def Techs I greatly prefer the BP7002's over the 7004's.

IMHO (if you have the coin) its not even a contest.

Just an overall fuller, richer sound across the board.

As far as it being too much speaker, well that is what the volume control is for.

·
Registered
Revel M22 & C32, JBL P520WS, Revel W563 & Infinity ERS 110II, SVS SB-2000 (x2), Anthem MRX 720
750 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsxs9400 /forum/post/18311722

I am looking into making a def tech speaker purchase very soon. My question is there such a thing as too much speaker for an area or seating distance. The room is 12X14 sitting back about 10' from tv. Speakers will be pulled out about 1 1/2 to 2' so I will be sitting aprox. 8' from speakers. Looking at either the BP7004's or BP7002's. Any recommendations? Thanks

Jeff

These are bipolar speakers that excel with lots of room to breathe. I take it 12' is the wdith and 14' is the length? That could be tight, depending on how it's furnished. Have you looked at DT's placement recommendations? They sound like they are trying to be cautiously inclusive (ie, it'll work in just about any room, but if you want the best sound . . . .).

"It is important, because of the BP7002/BP7004/BP7006's unique bipolar (front

and rear) radiation pattern, that some simple set-up recommendations be followed in order to assure optimum performance in your room. Please remember that although these recommendations are usually valid, all rooms and listening set-ups are somewhat unique, so do not be afraid to experiment with the speakers. Remember, whatever sounds best to you is correct.

. . .

Positioning the Speakers in Your Room

In most rooms the speakers should be placed 5 to 36 inches from the rear wall

in order to allow the rear radiated sound to freely reflect off the back wall. Please note that they can go closer to, or further from, the wall if desired. Placement closer to the rear wall will increase the bass output while placement further from the rear wall will decrease the bass output (which, of course, can be compensated for with the speakers' low frequency controls). Sometimes placement further from the rear wall will increase spaciousness and the sense of depth. The speakers should usually be placed a minimum of 5 to 7 feet apart and kept away from the side walls and corners if possible. A good rule of thumb is to place the speakers separated by one half the length of the wall they are positioned along, and each speaker one quarter the length of the back wall away from the side wall."

If it were me, I'd go with a smaller bi-polar design, or a comparably sized conventional forward firing model.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
Question: Is there such thing as too much speaker for your room?

Answer: Not with a 5 digit budget.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As far as speaker placement and geting the best imaging, the 7004s look to be the best option. Based on speaker design such as 4 drivers on the 7002 vs 2 on the 7004, the 7002s seem better. I am looking to make this decision with in the next two weeks, so any info will be helpful.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Too much speaker? Yes. When you can't get them through the door!

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
I have owned definitive bipolars for several years now and have had them in 6 different rooms. The 7002's should be fine in that room. You don't want to go for the 7004's wishing you would have gone with their big brother.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I've only owned one set of speakers in my life that I absolutely hated, and they were DefTech BP 2006's. And the ONLY reason I hated them was because I didn't have the faintest clue what I was doing.

After I sold them, I kept in touch with the buyer, and got to hear them iin a more appropriate setting: they were pretty good speakers afterall.

The bi-polar design really needs room behind them to sound their best- 2 to 3 feet easily. You also have to be careful about the bass response from those guys- too close to the wall and they get boomy.

You don't have a huge room. If it were me (knowing what I know now) I'd go with the smaller of the 2. You might not have enough cubic space to make use of the additional drivers in the 7002's. Imaging, soundstage and overall tonality can really be affected by the size of the speaker in relation to the room. Along with placement, toe-in, room treatments, reflective surfaces and on and on and on...

·
Registered
1,721 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_bartman /forum/post/18317193

You don't want to go for the 7004's wishing you would have gone with their big brother.

+1

·
Registered
Revel M22 & C32, JBL P520WS, Revel W563 & Infinity ERS 110II, SVS SB-2000 (x2), Anthem MRX 720
750 Posts
Just saw these Salons for sale on Audiogon. What do y'all think? Should he be downsizing?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts