AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
19,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SUCKER PUNCH and GREEN LANTERN Go 3D, But Are Conflicts on the Horizon?

Quote:
Sucker Punch, scheduled for release on March 25, 2011, is already in post-production, so the film will have 3D added ala WB’s Clash of the Titans. Meanwhile, Green Lantern isn’t nearly as easy to predict. The flick is set to begin filming near the end of the month and it is unclear whether there will be time to shoot with 3D cameras.
http://www.collider.com/2010/03/04/s...n-the-horizon/

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
The problem is, there are not enough 3D theaters and certainly not enough IMAX theaters (or Liemax either). ALICE IN WONDERLAND is now out and that means it needs to force AVATAR out, despite it still performing well at IMAX screens.

·
Registered
19,147 Posts
They'll definitely change release dates accordingly. More and more IMAX theaters (fake ones that is) are coming online every day. I bet by next year at this time there will be 30%-50% more 3D theaters overall than there are right now. 3D is where it's at.

·
Banned
19,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi /forum/post/18262411

They'll definitely change release dates accordingly. More and more IMAX theaters (fake ones that is) are coming online every day. I bet by next year at this time there will be 30%-50% more 3D theaters overall than there are right now. 3D is where it's at.

LOL! Funny you should mention that:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1232905

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Finally 3D is coming full force....is about damn time if you ask me..for too long we have been watching at flat images, with all the power we have now it was logical to move to 3d. Take games for example, beautiful 3d worlds that most gamers still experiencing in old flat style....go 3d and go 3d vision :)

·
Banned
19,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi /forum/post/18269064

Considering Avatar was the #1 grossing movie of all time it wouldn't surprise me if we see 3D theaters springing up pretty much everywhere. Whether that's good or bad news, I don't know.

The public is voting with their wallets - they want 3D. 3D earned $1B at the BO in 2009. Made 2009 the best BO year ever for Hollywood (over $10B) and Avatar had little to do wiith it.

·
Registered
19,147 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart /forum/post/18286878

The public is voting with their wallets - they want 3D. 3D earned $1B at the BO in 2009. Made 2009 the best BO year ever for Hollywood (over $10B) and Avatar had little to do wiith it.

You think the biggest grossing movie of all time being seen mainly in 3D theaters has little to do with more 3D theaters being built?

·
Banned
19,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi /forum/post/18296242

You think the biggest grossing movie of all time being seen mainly in 3D theaters has little to do with more 3D theaters being built?

That isn't what I said did I?

I said the revenue generated by Avatar in the year 2009 had little to do with the success of both 3D ($) BO and total BO revenue ($) for 2009:

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?pag...&id=avatar.htm

·
Registered
19,147 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart /forum/post/18296309

That isn't what I said did I?

I said the revenue generated by Avatar in the year 2009 had little to do with the success of both 3D ($) BO and total BO revenue ($) for 2009:

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?pag...&id=avatar.htm

And where did I say anything about 2009 in my original post you were responding to?
I was talking about Avatar and its effect on the theater industry in general.

·
Banned
19,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi /forum/post/18296418

And where did I say anything about 2009 in my original post you were responding to?
I was talking about Avatar and its effect on the theater industry in general.

You said:

Quote:
it wouldn't surprise me if we see 3D theaters springing up pretty much everywhere. Whether that's good or bad news, I don't know

And I told you that people are voting for 3D with their wallets - that means 3D theaters are good. Then I went on to show you how much they voted (spent) for 3D in 2009 and just to clarify - Avatar was released late in 2009.

·
Banned
1,292 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart /forum/post/18296703

You said:

And I told you that people are voting for 3D with their wallets - that means 3D theaters are good. Then I went on to show you how much they voted (spent) for 3D in 2009 and just to clarify - Avatar was released late in 2009.

People (particularly with AVATAR) enjoyed the 3D so much, that they were ready for a new one...as a result, ALICE IN WONBDERLAND opened to bigger numbers than AVATAR did! And I'm willing to bet the 3D receipts will be pretty good for CLASH OF THE TITANS as well.

·
Banned
19,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Clemons /forum/post/18303426

People (particularly with AVATAR) enjoyed the 3D so much, that they were ready for a new one...as a result, ALICE IN WONBDERLAND opened to bigger numbers than AVATAR did! And I'm willing to bet the 3D receipts will be pretty good for CLASH OF THE TITANS as well.

Yes - many people had not experienced todays 3D until they saw Avatar. I know a few people who did a double; "never done it." They experienced 3D and IMAX for the first time when they went to a showing of Avatar at their local IMAX theater.

The $600M loan has been closed. They will be installing digital theaters by the thousands now and with them will come more 3D locations.

Only question - will the popularity of 3D in the cinema translate to a desire to have it in your home?

·
Banned
1,292 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart /forum/post/18303510

Only question - will the popularity of 3D in the cinema translate to a desire to have it in your home?

For those who can afford it...yes. (I have the desire but not the funds!)

·
Banned
19,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Clemons /forum/post/18306077

For those who can afford it...yes. (I have the desire but not the funds!)

3DTV and some issues:

1. Wearing heavier ASGs instead of the light cheap polarized ones at the cinema

2. The cost of the ASGs - for a family of 4 when buying the Panasonic 3DTV bundle - that's $450 more on top of the bundle.

3. Some people can't see 3D due to either physical abberations or blind in one eye.

4. No casual viewing - no multitasking

5. Issues of compatibility with existing equipment (1.3 AVRs)

6. Lack of 3D content

7. Strict control of room environment - lighting

·
Banned
1,292 Posts

3DTV and some issues:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart /forum/post/18306148

3DTV and some issues:

1. Wearing heavier ASGs instead of the light cheap polarized ones at the cinema

They're not THAT heavy!

2. The cost of the ASGs - for a family of 4 when buying the Panasonic 3DTV bundle - that's $450 more on top of the bundle.

Two viewings...2 at a time!

3. Some people can't see 3D due to either physical abberations or blind in one eye.

True...3D would not be an option in such cases.

4. No casual viewing - no multitasking

Like in a theater?

5. Issues of compatibility with existing equipment (1.3 AVRs)

Since the 3D machines can plug directly into the set instead of the AVR, that doesn't matter.

6. Lack of 3D content

Plenty in the works, including two (possibly three) networks

7. Strict control of room environment - lighting

The preferable way to watch movies anyway...even in 2D.

·
Banned
19,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Originally Posted by Joel Clemons

Quote:
They're not THAT heavy!

They are in comparison to what they hand out at a RealD theater. Plus they are more like goggles than the sunglasses like models in the cinema which makes wearing regular glasses more challanging (except for the Panasonic ASGs which have the cutouts on the sides for this reason}.

Quote:
Two viewings...2 at a time!

LOL - "The next showing of Ice Age 3D at the Clemons house will be at 2PM."

You know that isn't the answer.

Quote:
True...3D would not be an option in such cases.

Less people to sell 3D to.

Quote:
Like in a theater?

TOTALLY different environments.

Quote:
Since the 3D machines can plug directly into the set instead of the AVR, that doesn't matter.

It matters if you have your system all set up with your remote to do all switching through the AVR. And for PS3 users - they lose HD Audio - have to go back to DD5.1

Quote:
Plenty in the works, including two (possibly three) networks

ESPN3D will only be on when they are broadcasting - all other times, the channel will be dark - June 11th - first 3D broadcast - World Cup

DirecTV will have three 3D channels:

1. Endless Loop 3D channel - free

2. Special events and such - monthly fee (like HBO)

3. PPV

Discovery 3D will come in 2011

That's it so far. Plus 3D BD which so far has about 6 titles that have been announced and they all are tied to exclusive deals with CEMs selling 3DTV's and 3D BD players.

Which is more than what HDTV started out with but people have become acustomed to dozens of HD channels and 1000's of BD titles.

Quote:
The preferable way to watch movies anyway...even in 2D.

Absolutely, but not all adhere to it. With the issue of the large brightness loss with the glasses, a bright room (daytime) no longer works. They will have to simulate nighttime. Not necessary with HDTV.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts